account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Sony Xperia 1 vs Samsung Galaxy S10 vs Huawei Mate X: are you joking Sony???

Highlighted
Commissioner
Message 1 of 76
Message 1 of 76

Sony Xperia 1 vs Samsung Galaxy S10 vs Huawei Mate X: are you joking Sony???

Hi, long time i waited for new Sony model, i wanted to see what new can Sony, then opponents doing really amazing things: folding screens, wireless charge others smartphone, 1 TB memory + SD memory card with 512 GB, unlock with tendones of hands and many others mirracle features. When i found first conference of Sony in official Sony's youtube channel i did not saw (i did not watched all conference from biggining to end, just fast "ran" and checked what about was talk) any new models, then i thought: well looks like Sony probably decided do not release any new models, was loss-making past year and ect. Is and was talk about close of smartphone's factory at all. I really really wish that Sony will be again in place where they was 20 years ago or more. I really really want to proud of Sony, but.... Are you really think Xperia 1 is "killer" of oppenont's smartphones? Are you just joking? Samsung and Huawei looks like is not just a ads product, i mean good marketing and ect. I loved Huawei when they released Huawei P20 Pro, later P20 Mate Pro... and now with Huawei Mate X killed me at all. Samsung i don't like for many reason. My opinion this company is praised too much. But Samsung Galaxy S10 with 1TB internal memory blowed my mind and that's not all, this model have also 512GB memory card slot. Wow. This is really is wow. What offering Sony?

1. Still 6GB memory of RAM? Come on, Samsung and Huawei have 8GB.

2. Where is 5G? Samsung and Huawei have it already. In my location already ready to release 5G when will be devices, what do you think i will choose 4G or 5G device?

3. Where is feature to charge other device? Samsung have it already, Huawei oferred that in last models... and many things.

My opinion Sony never will not be in TOP if will not do models as doing Samsung and Huawei. Time for changes. Believe me it's already time. Sony one thing in Xperia 1 have big screen, but again with oled screen which many year already have Samsung. I bought smart watch of Amazfit Verge with oled screen i know how mamaing looks it. So Sony must forget TFT, IPS and ect. Sony, do something insane which will be WOW for real, not in yours ads.

I watched some trailers of Xperia X1 and 10, when Samsung talking, with Huawei about wireless charge other device, big memory and others magic features, Sony presenting colours of devices, past year screen resolutions and ect. Camera which always anyway is worst as opponents and ect. I think Sony choice wrong way and must learn from Huawei and Samsung how to be real leading. People love Sony's quality, love Sony's name, but these days need something incredible, something realy insane as doing others. I've never been fan of chinese products, i wasn't fan of Samsung, even when my first Samsung got rain and "death" (Sony's C5 Ultra alive untill now, which got rains too - a lot and havn't protection from water and if say honest all models which i had was the same, that's why i still love Sony), but newest models "killing" me. Huawei suprised me at all very good. Sony disappoined these days. Sad when you favourite company going down... Slightly frowning Face

Guys, what do you think about new model of Sony Xperia 1?

Important: Don't forget to say THANK YOU and GIVE KUDOS for users which answered & helped you Remote

75 REPLIES 75
Adviser
Message 2 of 76
Message 2 of 76

Re: Sony Xperia 1 vs Samsung Galaxy S10 vs Huawei Mate X: are you joking Sony???

In General, the device is sharpened under 21: 9 who needs to buy it for this chip. Video and XZ2 shoots well, I think there are not worse. Game call does not work. But the mode of the two applications only Sony were able to reveal. Wireless charging is not practical personally in my experience. At first we wanted something new, the design is different. Bad that button on the one hand, the stabilizer does not securely attached will. Video capabilities competitor LG, Samsung hasn't talked about camera Plus S10. Sonya always had a different design, not like everyone else. This is the first device that has implemented a fully convenient multi-window mode. Why wireless charging? Headphones on? If is small then they have a case for 2-3 of charge. A large 1000 headphones keep more than a day. How many buttons? But there is no extra unlock in USA does not work the scanner button sapatento. Cameras pumped RAW added what more do you need?

Emperor
Message 3 of 76
Message 3 of 76

Re: Sony Xperia 1 vs Samsung Galaxy S10 vs Huawei Mate X: are you joking Sony???

@EUPHORIC 

1. I think foldable phones might need a bit more RAM than a single screen device

2. 5G will be released later this year in selected markets here in the USA, similar roll out in other countries, although it'll be awesome to have it, I don't mind not having this feature for now, but I agree with you, a flagship should be future proof, at least more than a year. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Emperor
Message 4 of 76
Message 4 of 76

I wonder if the side bezels are due to the fingerprint integrated once more on the power button as on previous Xperias? 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Commissioner
Message 5 of 76
Message 5 of 76

@4Serg13 wrote:

In General, the device is sharpened under 21: 9 who needs to buy it for this chip. Video and XZ2 shoots well, I think there are not worse. Game call does not work. But the mode of the two applications only Sony were able to reveal. Wireless charging is not practical personally in my experience. At first we wanted something new, the design is different. Bad that button on the one hand, the stabilizer does not securely attached will. Video capabilities competitor LG, Samsung hasn't talked about camera Plus S10. Sonya always had a different design, not like everyone else. This is the first device that has implemented a fully convenient multi-window mode. Why wireless charging? Headphones on? If is small then they have a case for 2-3 of charge. A large 1000 headphones keep more than a day. How many buttons? But there is no extra unlock in USA does not work the scanner button sapatento. Cameras pumped RAW added what more do you need?

Well... Samsung have different design too also as Huawei (I've never like Samsung design, it's one or reason why i don't like it models, but Huawei blue/green model looks great for me). Wireless charging for me looks great, coz no need always bring together charger to think how to charge my dying smartphone and ect. For example Huawei or other Chinese company making devices with big battery, so wireless at this point will be practic i think, coz if your battery like Mate X (if i remember right) is 5000 capacity you can help someone to charge or to charge yours own if you have two at the same time with the same feature without any charger. It's great, no worry about usb device or wall charger. About camera, Sony going with camera good way, but many test, opinions of experst and ect., still saying that Sony's still is not the best. I like Xperia C5 Ultra Dual camera too, for my daily usage it's enough, but my smartphone is not premium flagship, it's super midrage with some premium feature and cost for me 350 euros, when you spending 800 or more euros you want best smartphone, it's sad to say Sony's still is not even in top 5 often devices as best. About all features which i mentioned i wanted to say that Sony long time don't show something really impressive as doing always Samsung or Huawei. I agree that some good features or options have Sony too, but you writing about things which already presented others. My opinion Sony running somethere back to others and always trying to catch up, but without success.

What more do i need? I living in location where newest things comes one of first in probably all world or maybe Europe, so i want to use it. When i buying devices i trying to use all it features. So first at all if there is new model i want big memory, good camera and all newest features like 5G. Sony these days don't offer me nothing new what can offer others, sad, but it's true.

Important: Don't forget to say THANK YOU and GIVE KUDOS for users which answered & helped you Remote

Commissioner
Message 6 of 76
Message 6 of 76

@uliwooly wrote:

@EUPHORIC 

1. I think foldable phones might need a bit more RAM than a single screen device

2. 5G will be released later this year in selected markets here in the USA, similar roll out in other countries, although it'll be awesome to have it, I don't mind not having this feature for now, but I agree with you, a flagship should be future proof, at least more than a year. 

1. Both Samsung and Huawei have 8GB of RAM. Starge for me why Sony is only with 6GB. Past models of Samsung and Huawei got 6GB when Sony only 4GB if i remember right. I don't know about foldable appetite, but even if they "eating" more RAMs 8GB i think it's enough.

2. I believe that Sony will release later 5G, but we talking about now. For example you think to buy new device, which you will choose which will get 5G someday in future or which already have 5G? In future will be 5G+ or 5G++ and ect, i think everthing need to do now, not later. It's not explain. I'm sure Sony will try to make foldable device too, even if will be success Samsung and Huawei, but later all pleasant, joy, impress will be end. That's why i'm suprised why Sony creating past smartphones. I mean models which someone already made. Why Sony stopped to impress us. I like that Sony created first slow motion, 4K and ect, why they don't create something cool anymore?

Emperor
Message 7 of 76
Message 7 of 76

@EUPHORIC 

That's true, other devices have more RAM, it might smooth things out but I don't see it as a deterrent

As for 5G, that's most likely to happen, if you recall usually the first gen of a new Xperia family lack some features, just like the XZ/XZ1 lack Qi wireless charging.

Commissioner
Message 8 of 76
Message 8 of 76

@uliwooly wrote:

@EUPHORIC 

That's true, other devices have more RAM, it might smooth things out but I don't see it as a deterrent

As for 5G, that's most likely to happen, if you recall usually the first gen of a new Xperia family lack some features, just like the XZ/XZ1 lack Qi wireless charging.

If say honest these days RAM number for me became very important. I like football, sometime to play in my smartphone. Coz C5 Ultra is old smartphone and have only 2GB RAM it became important. If i will buy new mobile i really will check how RAM it have. In past i did not take so much attention. Also memory 16GB is too less, even if you have from it only 9 for usage. That's why 1 terabyte sounds great. Memory card it's great, but some apps impossible to transfer to SD card as you know. 

About 5G and QI, that's what i'm talking about, why Sony not jumping in the same train as doing others? Samsung/Huawei already released 5G smartphones, why need to wait? It's the same to make 8K TV, but don't have 8K television. Why i need 5G if i can't use it now? You wrote XZ/XZ1 lack Qi wireless charging, but this is and is the biggest mistake of Sony, they are not in the same time and always or often releasing, my opinion, oldest features or features which rarly are in all world attention. .. which others presented last year. That's not good. If you saying feel WOW, let's do that WOW. I think Sony havn't goods ideas, that's bad. Offcourse this is just my opinion, but long time old design, old features showed to us that this is can be true. If they have new idea what they waiting for? Profit going down if is at all. Market is not friendly, i think need to change a lot of things in Sony's mind Slightly smiling Face 

Message 9 of 76
Message 9 of 76

You have to look at the bigger picture..

Samsung NEEDS to release higher storage options and ram options otherwise people might notice that they buying yet another incrimental update to the hardware with little new features, likewise Chinese brands have always gone overkill with ram, it's how it it.

Folding phones are pretty much pointless at the moment unless you have money to throw away plus that galaxy fold now has the record for bezel size, ugly as sin that thing is.

However, it is nice to see other brands using last year's Xperia camera innovations again, and tarting them up as their own ideas, so yes well done Samsung for "reimagining how we record video" with hdr 4k video recording...

..I'm sure that took ages to create.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Message 10 of 76
Message 10 of 76

There is only one thing that Sony should have improved and that's the battery...

Seriously, everything else is better on the Xperia 1 than on the Galaxy S10+...

It will have wireless charging and you can use it wired to charge your USB devices (we don't know if it can charge other devices wirelesly, but that's so slow anyway) . It has a MUCH better screen, larger and no holes in it. Also, the XZ3 had better image quality than the S9+, so I expect the same this time again.

There are no practical applications of 5G yet. Even if the providers release it, there will be years before there are actual use cases like game streaming... Righ now 4G+ is faster than 99% of home broadbands and has much better signal penetration. What exactly is it that you do on your phone that would be more demanding than streaming 4K HDR video? 4G+ can stream several times that much...

Also, 8GB of memory is a marketing pissing contest. You will not notice the difference between 6 and 8 GB. Maybe in 3 years...

I do understand your point that products now need to be dramatic even if it makes no sense, it only increases the price.