account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

SIGNAL PROBLEMS

One time poster
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

SIGNAL PROBLEMS

I am having signal problems on my Xperia 1 device ... the signal drops from time to time..call quality is sometimes bad and I need to know if this can can be fixed ...a lot of people are complainin about Xperia devices on bad signal ...come on Sony , don t you people read this topics ? Do a software update for bad signal...DO SOMETHING before we all become Samaung users !

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: SIGNAL PROBLEMS

Do you not think it may be an issue with your network, depending on where you are?

Talent
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

I doubt it is network, I tried 2 different carriers and had issues with call quality. Well not entire call (for example 40mins) wss bad, no. It's not like constant, but there are drops where I do not hear the other side or people are saying they do not hear me from time to time. Moreover, sometimes the calls are completely dropped... And thisbis unacceptable. 

I was highlighting weak signal reception on Xperia 1 but so far no fix. Note that you can check your signal strength in the settings. Go to settings - - > system - - > informations about the phone - - > sim card state. There you can see the dBm( decibels relative to milivatt ) which is value in fact strength of your signal reception (the lower the worse). My current values for Orange are about -107dBm to even -119dBm! And I live in a big city. Other carier is similar.

Below article says the usable strength is max -85dBm and xperia 1 is so poor that it is below -110dBm: 

https://www.accu-tech.com/accu-insider/what-is-a-good-cell-phone-signal-strength

What are your dBm values and what carriers? Can you please check and share? 

Talent
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

Screenshot_20190927-210950.png

Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

o2, uk, -89dBm is what I see.(o2 uk, -91dBm is what I see in my car when driving, also connected to a Nextbase dashcam)

Orange was the worst network I remember "back in the day", closely followed by T- Mobile, and they both are EE now, IMO, garbage signals no matter where I was with my old contract phones.

Closely followed by Vodaphone.

We use Vodaphone in our work now, and I guarantee we cannot get a full phone call without major glitches and robotic phasing in the audio.

So for 4G you actually get a "fair" signal.

The 4G list is below:

3g_vs_4g_lte_signal_strength_in_dbm.png

Talent
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

Meanwhile I switched the carrier, but situation is the same, this is an Xperia 1 issue since I do not have such a problem when tried shamesung of my cooeague at the same location, below X1 with another carrier:

Screenshot_20191002-094242.png

Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

whats your 4G performance like? Like how fast are your downloads, and streaming, is that ok?