account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Camera aspect in WhatsApp

Highlighted
Sage
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Camera aspect in WhatsApp

Just took a photo within WhatsApp (initiating it from WhatsApp). There is no way of changing settings that I can see - you simply have the option of front or back camera, and photo or video. I used the back camera - and noted that zoom using the volume button didn't seem to work. 

However, the photo was in 21:9 format! 

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: Camera aspect in WhatsApp

On further investigation, WhatsApp uses the phone camera API to take photos, with no way of altering anything. Actually, it cycles between front camera, and 2 different zoom levels, but all photos are in 21:9 format 

Inhabitant
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

Strange as the camera itself does not take 21:9 aspect ratio photos. After two weeks of emailing Sony Support they finally say, "the camera is meant for casual use and does not support that feature (21:9 aspect ratio photos) and then for about the twentieth time they waffle on about Cinema Pro.

I am so disappointed with Sony, why have a camera that cannot take photos to fill the screen, the allegedly inferior Xperia 10 Plus can take 21:9 photos so why not Sony's best ever smartphone with it's best ever camera?? And, if the camera takes 21:9 aspect ratio photos within WhatsApp then surely it should take the same size photos without WhatsApp??!! 

Sorry, waffled on a bit, I'm just annoyed!

Highlighted
Sage
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

I think someone in Sony has messed up, and failed to include the 21:9 aspect ratio in the standard camera setup, despite this aspect ratio being available in the Camera Pro app and (we now find) in WhatsApp, that I assume must use the camera API to obtain photos from the phone camera hardware. Unfortunately Sony will never admit they have a problem with any of their phones, but I am sure they are aware of this problem and will be sorting it out.

Of course, failing to admit there is a problem that they are sorting out gives far worse press and harms Sony's reputation far more than admitting it... 

Highlighted
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

What's the resolution of the image taken in WhatsApp?

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Highlighted
Sage
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

4032x1728

@Viridis wrote:

Highlighted
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

@drlmiles wrote:

4032x1728

@Viridis wrote:

Ok, let me see what I can find out about this...

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

It's 21:9 in WhatsApp. Infuriating huh?