account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

XZP camera has serious distortion issue

SOLVED
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 441 of 838
Message 441 of 838

Re: XZP camera has serious distortion issue

Many phone has wide angle camera and it distortion is correct unlike Xperia

http://m.gsmarena.com/these_camera_samples_show_off_galaxy_note8s_dual_camera-news-26899.php

Please fix this SONY unless you don't care your customer.

Device : Xperia XZ1
Headphone : MDR-1ALTD + MUC-S12SB1, ATH WS1100 + MUC-S12SM1
DAC/AMP : PHA-2A
Highlighted
Adviser
Message 442 of 838
Message 442 of 838

@TruthSeeker wrote:

Many phone has wide angle camera and it distortion is correct unlike Xperia

http://m.gsmarena.com/these_camera_samples_show_off_galaxy_note8s_dual_camera-news-26899.php

Please fix this SONY unless you don't care your customer.

Follow  a lot of note8 camera photos ,Looks wide-angle and portrait mode is great, 2x optical zoom and OIS feeling very practical,low light just amazing,And of course  no outrageous distortion.Never concerned about the dual camera phone before, time to change.

Highlighted
Message 443 of 838
Message 443 of 838

Unbelievable distortion, so disappointed with this camera. 2017-08-28_09-14-22.jpg

2017-08-28_09-13-59.jpg

2017-08-28_09-13-43.jpg

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 444 of 838
Message 444 of 838

Hi TheArtOfGrief,

I guess your pictures have a problem.

Device : Xperia XZ1
Headphone : MDR-1ALTD + MUC-S12SB1, ATH WS1100 + MUC-S12SM1
DAC/AMP : PHA-2A
Highlighted
Commissioner
Message 445 of 838
Message 445 of 838

Hi @sonnny,

I'm the first you is not satisfied about the evident distortion of the lens of Sony's phones, also XZP, but in your pictures you have done a basical error to take a shot.

You have focused on the sky and the result is inclined vertical objects, typical effect of wide angle lens, ALL wide angle lens with no software correction or physical correction lens.

Finally, the behaviuor of the lens you reported, is a feature of wide angle lens and is expected for this kind of lens.

I suggest you to use the grid and allign, as possibile as you can, the objects with the grid to take better shots.

Highlighted
Commissioner
Message 446 of 838
Message 446 of 838

Hi to all!

On GSMArena there is a review of the new Nokia 8 with Zeiss lens.

In the picture in front of the palace, is clearly visible a big distortion in the horizontal lines, distortion focused near the rigth side, so not centerd as in XZP.

So, pair to Sony, is unacceptable from a international brand like Zeiss to have this distortion, worse than Sony's one, because not centered.

Definetely, with no software correction (artificial shots resulting) is normale to have distortion in wide angle lens, also if in smartphones is not a pure barrel distortion but mixed with pincushion one.

Personally, I prefer the XZP lens because the distortion is centered, better than decentered of Zeiss's one.

Adviser
Message 447 of 838
Message 447 of 838

I would rather prefer no distortion at all. I have always purchased sony phones till now. 6 of them in the last 10 years or so.

I have always got best support and best quality from sony phones. Why is this sony xz premium despite being such an amazing phone giving such issues and why are we not getting that required help in fixing this issue from sony support. At least say we are working on an update. Samsung also did it, sony can easily do it. In today's world where word of mouth is a big thing, how can you guys just ignore the issue and keep quiet about it.
You know people are not buying one plus 5 as much as people would have if someone didn't expose that jelly effect issue. They also said it is natural and this is not an issue. So people just dont want to buy it. Do you want the same thing to happen to xzp? I as a Sony fan definitely don't want that. It is not just your reputation, it is our reputation too when we believe in sony and buy your flagship device. Make an in-built or separately downloaded app, release an update or do something to at least resolve it by 70-80% so we know you actually listen to your customers else you are going to lose all your customers and will end up shrinking the market share even further. I really hope someone replies in a week else I am going to email it to whosoever it takes to highlight the issue and how no one is actually providing a solution. It was advertised that it has an anti-distortion feature. Come on!!

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 448 of 838
Message 448 of 838

I can see Sonnny's photo already shown the best angle he can get. If use grid to make the tower vertical then the coastline will be extremely tilted. The opposite ,make the coastline parallel then the tower will be more tilted. This is one of the simplest truths.All wide angle phone lens edge is distorted ,but usually at the part very close to the edge,not like this photo, the tower is already very close to the center but still tilted too much. I guess Sonnny want to make the tower look better, has been tilted the coastline a little, but still can not be remedied.

Nokia 8 review photo in GSMArena,I feel quite normal and straight compared the same building photo from N8 and XZP.   XZP photos are absolutely wavy.........Absolutely need distortion correction.

I personally feel very good on N8 portrait mode , XZP can not shoot such  portrait photo, You will get the result like alien head.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_8-review-1644p8.php#image27

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xz_premium-review-1610p8.php#image8

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xz_premium-review-1610p8.php#image3

Highlighted
Regular
Message 449 of 838
Message 449 of 838

Guys

Sony abandoned  XZP users , the new phone xz1 has reduced distortion.

Update:

Sorry, the source has been post again ,and confirmed  that XZ1 still keep the serious distortion as XZP.

He said he did not know which distortion we are talking about. For sure to change other  brand now. Will never  buy any sony mobile product again. The final post here.

Highlighted
Talent
Message 450 of 838
Message 450 of 838

YuRR,

Bad news for XZP user, good news for potential XZ1/XZ1C buyers.

Any source for this info?