account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

XZP camera has serious distortion issue

SOLVED
Highlighted
Message 60 of 838
Message 60 of 838

Re: XZP camera has serious distortion issue

If you actively look for something, you will see it.

And once seen......

Honestly, I will probably never notice this in normal use, and if I do, I'll just reverse the pin effect in an edit.DSC_0137-01.jpeg

Until then, I'm just gonna carry on enjoying this camera.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 61 of 838
Message 61 of 838

Obviously, not a single pincushion effect.

A great camera for pic the people at the centre, a direct non-edit method to make you getting slim.

Highlighted
Commissioner
Message 62 of 838
Message 62 of 838

Sorry @viridis, but are you serious? A distorted photo with not proportional shapes is a little issue for you? What I do of a lot of details if then the proportions are wrong and lines distorted? For you a boy with enlarged head or arms is only a little issue???

I appreciate a lot Sony's techs, but for an highend flagship is ABSURD fall in this basilar feature when taking shots! How can Sony hope to sell a lot of devices if then the photos are wrong?

Unfortunately I suspect that is an hardware issue due to new lens as other users said.

Highlighted
Message 63 of 838
Message 63 of 838

@Alessio_84 wrote:

@sorry @Viridis, but are you serious? A distorted photo with not proportional shapes is a little issue for you?

It's little issue as I don't see it that often in what I shoot. 

What I do of a lot of details if then the proportions are wrong and lines distorted?

For you a boy with enlarged head or arms is only a little issue???

Well, for me personally, yes. I'm not seeing this, I don't know how you want me to judge personally on an issue that I'm only getting at minimum levels. In fact I was the FIRST person to say to op "that's not right" once an obvious photo was posted.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 64 of 838
Message 64 of 838

I agree with you. Just received the phone and i noticed slight disortion around the edges.

However, for me this is normal. The lens on this phone give a wider field of view similar to a gopro/action cam which is great for taking landscapes. For such lens, the distortion is normal. I don't mind it.

But, would be great to have some kind of crop functionality for taking portraits where the field of view is reduced. A small toggle button on the camera app !

Anyway back to enjoy my new phone Grinning Face

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 65 of 838
Message 65 of 838

Hey guys, I've been using this amazing xzp for more than two weeks and indeed this is the phone I need. And I can finally say goodbye to my red hot z5p thanks to Snapdragon 810!

The look is elegant, the system is as smooth as butter and the battery life is just amazing.

Regarding the disortion issue of this topic, I confirm that I have same one and this one is really bad and noticeable when you shoot square objects.

However, I found out that the photos taken during normal video recording do not have this kind of issue and the photos taken when recording 4k videos have only slight and totally acceptable distortion.

I don't know whether there is same kind of working mechanism between taking pictures using camara and taking pictures while filming.

Just wanna give you guys a different thought, or maybe .... A HOPE?

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 66 of 838
Message 66 of 838

Re: Fatal problem-Photo distortion

@Nadfink wrote:

Thought I'd best add myself to the list of those affected by this issue. UK user here, XZP was delivered yesterday and noticed the distortion issue immediately. Really disappointing to see this.

On my way to get a replacement as I type. Will see if the next handset has the same issue. I think Sony need to formally acknowledge this apparent defect. 

Good luck with that 1 don't mean the new handset mean the acknowledgement.

Highlighted
Regular
Message 67 of 838
Message 67 of 838

@jackedoff wrote:

@Nadfink wrote:

Thought I'd best add myself to the list of those affected by this issue. UK user here, XZP was delivered yesterday and noticed the distortion issue immediately. Really disappointing to see this.

On my way to get a replacement as I type. Will see if the next handset has the same issue. I think Sony need to formally acknowledge this apparent defect. 

Good luck with that 1 don't mean the new handset mean the acknowledgement.

I returned it to Carphone Warehouse who immediately acknowledged the fault, as they also did when I returned the replacement. It wasn't particularly difficult to demonstrate the fault when showing them photos of warped keyboards and demonstrating this in the store. They confirmed that they'd had a few other returns for the same reason. 

I've now had a full refund,  cancelled the contract and reverted back to my Z3. Shame really because I quite liked the phone but I'm not prepared to have to edit my pics to remove the distortion,  so for me it's an unforgivable defect. 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 68 of 838
Message 68 of 838

So let me get this right you've had 2 new handsets both displaying the same fault. It's not so bad if you buy off a retailer & return it within a short space of time (cooling period).

Highlighted
Regular
Message 69 of 838
Message 69 of 838

Correct, two handsets both with exactly the same fault which I returned in the 14 day cooling off period without any challenges from the retailer. They were in fact quite helpful, surprisingly!