account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

What is the reason behind restricting external USB storage when SD card encryption is activated?

Highlighted
Pioneer
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

What is the reason behind restricting external USB storage when SD card encryption is activated?

Sony, what is this stupid security restriction for? Don't you think it protects from stealing data from the phone? Sure it doesn't. I don't find this policy useful anyhow. It just introduces a big inconvenience. I suggest to remove it or at least let the user decide. I'd like to use external storage without working around this ugly restriction.

usb_storage_restricted.gif

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Re: What is the reason behind restricting external USB storage when SD card encryption is activated?

Hi @pribambas,

This could be related to Anti-Virus, or a corporate exchange account restricting access to this. Do you have either on your phone?

Or do you happen to have a guest account set up on the phone that you are trying to access this under?

I have found the following information:

Google is continuously working with vendors and partners to provide the best optimized experience, and mitigates security risks. A new software update integrates a security patch which changes the external storage, SD card and USB access when using Multiple User accounts. When using an external storage and switching to a different user, the other user will have limited access to private files on the external storage. Note! Multimedia apps such as Camera, Music and Video will still have read and write access when switching to a different user.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Pioneer
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

Re: What is the reason behind restricting external USB storage when SD card encryption is activated?

I don't have either. No guest account also. It seems to be a default policy out of the box.

I have to point out once again: without SD card encryption there is no any problem. The issue arises when SD card encryption is active. So I'd like to understand why restricting external storage when the user has SD card encryption activated.

Highlighted
Pioneer
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

The latest update (45.0.A.7.137) didn't fix this

Highlighted
Pioneer
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

The oreo update didn't fix this.

Sony, what's the problem here?

Highlighted
Pioneer
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

47.1.A.5.51 changed nothing

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

Usb storage is restricted

A security policy restricts the use of USB storage.

This is what I get when I want to get some music off a USB onto the phone via an OTG cable. Any ideas how I can do this or do I have to do it via a Computer? 

Pioneer
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

Re: Usb storage is restricted

Switching off microSD card encryption may help. I asked Sony several times to fix this.

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

Re: Usb storage is restricted

Hello,

I'm facing the same problem. I have a sony xperia xa1 ultra dual sim. And I too have an encrypted SD card on my phone.

Did you find a fix for the problem?

Next time I am buying Samsung.