account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Pop up ads

SOLVED
Apprentice
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

Pop up ads

I have trouble with ads coming up regularly, even when l haven't been using my phone.  I've tried all the usual things, but nothing is working... I've uninstalled updatea and haven't downloaded any new ones. AVG hasn't picked up anything either.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.. Thanks πŸ˜ƒ 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Emperor
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

Re: Pop up ads

@Cinders9

restart the phone > open the app drawer > menu > sort apps > By date > uninstall one by one until you find the culprit. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Emperor
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

@Cinders9

boot in >>> safe mode and see if you experience the same issue, if you don't then it is a third party app 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

Thank you for the reoly...  how do l start my phone in safe mode?  I have never had to do it.  Thanks 😊

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

Hi @Cinders9,

You can tap/click on text "safe mode" in @uliwooly's post and you will be taken to the instructions on how to restart your device in safe mode, or you can press and hold the power button until you see the "Power off/Restart" menu on your screen and then you press and hold on "Power off" for 4-5 seconds and the device will automatically restart in safe mode. To exit safe mode, simply restart your device as you would normally do.

You can also make sure that you don't have a lot of tabs open in the web browser in your device, as some web sites will contain ads. Open up Chrome and tap the little square with a number next to it at the top right > tap the 3 dots > Close all tabs.

Let us know how it goes! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

Thanks for the help.. Much appreciated . I started it in safe mode and am not getting the ads.  What does this mean and how can l fix it... Thanks 😊

Highlighted
Emperor
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

@Cinders9

restart the phone > open the app drawer > menu > sort apps > By date > uninstall one by one until you find the culprit. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

Tha ks for your help 😊

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

You aren't going to believe this but it seems like it was the very first app l disabled. Thank you again

Highlighted
Emperor
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

@Cinders9

Anytime, which app was it?

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

It was Amazon Shopping