account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Phone pad (T9) text input on XZ

Highlighted
Learner
Message 1 of 57
Message 1 of 57

Phone pad (T9) text input on XZ

Went to buy the new XZ today but couldn't find phonepad text input for European languages. Only available for Chinese. Why does Sony do this kind of thing to loyal customers? Will stick to my current Xperia or wait and see if there will be an update. This same thing happened with the Z1 until there was an update.

56 REPLIES 56
Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 57
Message 2 of 57

Re: Phone pad text input on XZ

Hi @Göra,

The built in SwiftKey keyboard featured in Xperia XZ does currently not offer a phone pad (T9) layout, but you can still get an alternative keyboard for that purpose from the Google Play Store. I hope you can find a keyboard which suits you!

SwiftKey has written an article on this:
https://support.swiftkey.com/hc/en-us/articles/202687151-Can-I-type-using-a-3x4-T9-layout-with-Swift...

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Highlighted
Learner
Message 3 of 57
Message 3 of 57

Thanks for your input but the link you provided shows no sign of phonepad T9 support.  Only qwerty options in different configurations and colours. Why would Sony provide the T9 option only for Chinese and not other languages?  Again, I really want to buy this phone but I'm not going to use 28 keys when only 9 are necessary, especially with big fingers like I have.  So, sorry Sony, the XZ is a no from me.  At least until there is an update.    

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 57
Message 4 of 57

As I mentioned SwiftKey has no support for T9, which is why I linked their support page response to it (as a confirmation for you). The Chinese keyboard does not use SwiftKey, which is why it functions differently. 

I am sorry to hear that, in this case I can only refer to alternate third party keyboards which have T9 support. Slightly frowning Face

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Highlighted
Learner
Message 5 of 57
Message 5 of 57

Re: Phone pad (T9) text input on XZ

I cant belive you took a way the T9 !! I bouth the XZ yesterday . In good belive that it still had the T9. But no no no. So today i will return my mobile to the store . And by Samsung. That has the T9. I had Sony for many many years. Love them. But without T9. never again. I belive a lot of people will think the same as me. I remember a few years ago. You took the T9 away with and update. You got so mutch angry people all over the world. That you had to bring it back. So thats why i cant understand why you not put it inn your new phones ??? Its a shame . PS..Its only the T9 that works. Nothing else on google play..

Spoiler

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 57
Message 6 of 57

Hi @JanErik1970,

Thank you for your feedback, I will make sure to forward it internally!

As I wrote above, the feature is not present as of right now in the latest available update in Xperia XZ - but there are Keyboard alternatives available in the Google Play Store. My recommendation is that you try to see if there is a suitable Keyboard available for you there, and as I wrote above; I will forward your consumer feedback internally.

Highlighted
Learner
Message 7 of 57
Message 7 of 57

I tried severel in google play store.. But for me everything is useless. There is nothing like the T9.  I just delivered in my new xz in the store. And tok out a new Samsung S7 edge that had a big T9 :-)

We are a firm were we are 5 employed.. we all had sony.. but not anymore. ONLY because of the T9.

And i still dont understand that you learn from last time when you took it away with an update :-(

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 8 of 57
Message 8 of 57

I agree with all above posts. I have also bought a new XZ just because of the fact and in the belief it has T9 as all previous Sony(Ericsson) mobile phones. So I don't really know what to do now. Same answer all the time from your support whom I have contacted; "download something from Google Play". But there is no working T9 app to download i swedish language. I have spent hours to find it. Please give a link or a name to that app if there is one. I can even pay for it, if it works!

So please, make sure to fix this. Else, I will have to do as previous user to buy a phone of other brand.
I cant get used to write on Swift key. Please call me old-fashioned, but I don't feel for learn to write in a new way when I write quickly and efficiently with T9 keybord.
Thanks
Mikael

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 9 of 57
Message 9 of 57

Hi @Mikael1977, I fully understand your frustration. Slightly frowning Face

I am afraid that I do not have a specific app to recommend you from the Play Store since I have not had the opportunity to try using one myself. I understand that it may be inconvenient to switch from something that you're not used to, and that it may be inconvenient to spend time looking for alternatives.

In the current version of SwiftKey there's no support for T9, which SwiftKey have also mentioned on their Support pages, but I will make sure to forward your suggestion as user feedback internally here on my end. 

If you find a solution which works for you in the Play Store, please share it with us in this thread so that other users with similar queries may try it as well in order to see if it suits them. Keep me updated! Slightly smiling Face

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 10 of 57
Message 10 of 57

Maybe this help somebody with the new XZ outfit...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-xz/themes/sony-missing-apps-xperia-xz-rooted-t3482858

Edit you dont have to be bootunlocked or rooted to install these apps...