account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

EAP Wifi not working

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

EAP Wifi not working

Hello everyone,

since the Android 9 update my phone stopped to work in WIFI EAP-PWD networks. EAP-PWD is an enterprise authentication protocol for securing wifi in university / company campuses.

My phone succesfully connects to the network, but subsequently, after some number of reconnects due to walking in other rooms, fails to reconnect.

The WiFi component is then completely frozen. Therefore the Wifi settings app cannot be opened anymore. Please note that the error is Sony global, other phones of colleagues have the same issues.

I uploaded a log of such an unsucessful connection attempt: https://pastebin.com/vWJU8FWa

Best regards

Laurenz

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

Re: EAP Wifi not working

It is sad to say but sometimes Full Software Repair (using Xperia Companion) is the best way to get phone to work correctly (after major software update). My personal opinion is that as some WiFi settings are left out from Android Pie then existing configuration files from Android Oreo cause problems. And this is something Google could have done better.

However, please do note:

you should back up all your personal information before that.

&

you should NOT restore system settings after software repair.

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

Before posting on this forum, I tried to get in touch with Sony customer relations. The sent me the same recommendation, so I tried that. I set up the whole phone by myself again.

The error is not related to Google AOSP sources, since other manufacturers phones are unaffected. All university members with Sony phones are affected, the others are not.

The new update is therefore non-complaint to the IEEE 802.11X standard.

Best regards

Laurenz

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

Dear Sony Staff,

will anybody of your reply to my post? My device is still under warranty and non-compliant to WiFi standards.

Best regards