account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Bluetooth Broken After New Update

SOLVED
Learner
Message 1 of 11
Message 1 of 11

Bluetooth Broken After New Update

Hey guys, 

Always loved Sony phones since the experia X. Never had one issue and always praised Sony for not only the build quality but value for money and durability. 

I'm now on the XZ2 which has worked flawlessly until the new major OS update. Since updating, I've been entirely unable to pair bluetooth with any of my devices. Ive trolled through all the fixs and nothing helped (developer options, codecs ect)

I'm a DJ and music producer and this is crippling for me. I now have no music on the go and no way to proof check work without Bluetooth. I use only the best Sony products with the device so really its mind boggling they haven't tested it properly before releasing the update. I've also noticed graphical errors where my ui goes pixelated around icon edges (using custom themes) 

Please if anyone has the same issue let's note it here to get Sony to help us. Now with no headphone port (unless you remembered your converter) I have no way of listening to music at all. 

Anyone else had the same issues? My phone is running the latest os with no available updates. 

Please Sony, release a Bluetooth update ASAP. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Sage
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

Re: Bluetooth Broken After New Update

Could be a hardware-issue with your phone.

Basic tests before you send it to a Sony Support Center:

- Make sure that Bluetooth is ON

- Make sure to restart the phone after the Android Pie update

- Boot phone in Safemode and enable Bluetooth  (in case an app inhibits something)

- Do a Software Repair with Xperia Companion?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 11
Message 2 of 11

Is your phone visible on other units on Bluetooth? (it should be visible at "Xperia XZ2" on other devices)

Are you able to connect via Bluetooth to any other device?

Highlighted
Learner
Message 3 of 11
Message 3 of 11

Hiya, 

As stated in my post the phone is entirely undiscoverable via Bluetooth since the update. I've tried various devices, computers mac and Windows. Before the update everything worked flawlessly. Anybody have any workarounds? 

Highlighted
Sage
Message 4 of 11
Message 4 of 11

Could be a hardware-issue with your phone.

Basic tests before you send it to a Sony Support Center:

- Make sure that Bluetooth is ON

- Make sure to restart the phone after the Android Pie update

- Boot phone in Safemode and enable Bluetooth  (in case an app inhibits something)

- Do a Software Repair with Xperia Companion?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Learner
Message 5 of 11
Message 5 of 11

Hiya, 

Are you stating the update has caused the error? As like I mentioned the phone worked perfectly using Bluetooth everyday before the update. Surely that's proof it's not a hardware issue?

Anyone had Bluetooth working on xz2 after new update? 

Highlighted
Message 6 of 11
Message 6 of 11

It could still be a coincidential hardware failure that occured at the same time as the update. But I think it's more likely that something went wrong with the update. Updates to a newer Android version often caused issues, not only with Sony phones.

I'd suggest to backup your data, do a firmware repair with PC Companion and check again. 

I had my XZ2 updated to Android 9 and Bluetooth was still working, so I don't believe it to be a systematic failure. 

Highlighted
Sage
Message 7 of 11
Message 7 of 11

I said it could be a hardware-problem, and coinsidently it could fail during the upgrade.

But to rule out software-issues, I suggested the list of things to test.

And yes, Bluetooth works fine on XZ2 after Pie upgrade. (meaning that it is not a generic BT issue with XZ2 and Pie)

-I'm using Sony WH-1000-xm3 headphones on bluetooth at the moment.:smileysmileywink:

Highlighted
Learner
Message 8 of 11
Message 8 of 11

Thanks, 

This is a massive relief to know its working for others. I tried all the usual ways to fix it before making a post here. I noticed others on older models with the same issues but not on the xz2.

I'm yet to try Sony Companion but seems very odd that newer software would require older techniques. I've not once had to use this feature but if it may help I'm open to suggestions. 

Thanks for taking the time to reach out. I'll update if I've made any progress.

St. Remy 

Highlighted
Talent
Message 9 of 11
Message 9 of 11

Bluetooth working for me using my Bluetooth headphones 

Highlighted
Learner
Message 10 of 11
Message 10 of 11

My mac was able to see it and connect to it, yes.