account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

SBH-80 is off balanced

One time poster
Message 11 of 19
Message 11 of 19

Re: SBH-80 is off balanced

Just removing the film off the end of the headphone, wiping gently and then replacing it solved this issue for me. They looked great when just looking at them from the outside, but clearly if removing them, wiping and replacing cleared up the sound issue they were somehow the culprit. I did nothing with the foam etc deeper into the phone, just the film on the end.

I tried removing them altogether and listening and while the phones were nice and balanced left-right, the sound became much worse, much sharper and with a really annoying pronounced midrange. So if you go poking around, gently remove the film without damaging it, and gently wipe it, and gently replace it and hope it stays on there, without that film these things are essentially unusable, at least to me. 

Edit: Sony should probably take a long hard look at what prolonged time spent at body temperature (from being stuck in a person's ear) does to the adhesives and other such items. 

Highlighted
Demigod
Message 12 of 19
Message 12 of 19

Happened to me today. Headphones were balanced to the left. Reset did nothing. After close inspection of both speakers I found that glue on the right became a messy gum that locked audio out from that speaker. Another one was in perfect condition. After removing glued ring and cleaning the film audio is balanced back. Thanks for solution.
Best regards,
Sergio PL

--
Xperia Z3 Compact / Nexus 7 (2012)
One time poster
Message 13 of 19
Message 13 of 19

same issue with my headset - took off the membrane and found that the foam inside had slipped back and was inhibiting the sound production.  lifted it out partially with a pit, pressed flush against the housing and replaced the membrane and problem solved!

One time poster
Message 14 of 19
Message 14 of 19

you Sir, saved a lot of pain for me , I  was upset that I have throw the headset , and now its all working Grinning Face thank you 

One time poster
Message 15 of 19
Message 15 of 19

Hi all, the same issue annoyed me for weeks... I should have googled and found this thread earlier.

Thank you so much.

One time poster
Message 16 of 19
Message 16 of 19

Great Find! I had this same issue and had actually bought several cheaper replacements that never measured up to these amazing sounding earbuds. Meanwhile I would whistfully keep picking up my SBH80's and look for a solution from time to time.  I had finally resigned myself to saving for the new WI-1000x model (which I probably still will). It amazes me how this old design still blows away so many of the other bluetooth headsets out there today, even some of Sony's newer models. 

This has me doing a happy dance today as I am cranking out tunes on my SBH80's again. 

Also Sony if you are reading this. Copy the mic's that this has in your newer models. I have the MDR-XB70BT set and they are useless for using to make phone calls. I have read similar reviews for the h.ear series of BT headsets as well. I have never had that issue with my SBH80. If fact I have had people tell me that I sound like I am inside their head when using them, and that is with them tucked under my shirt collar. I don't see that kind of comments on any of the newer models or HD voice listed as a feature. 

Visitor
Message 17 of 19
Message 17 of 19

What is the film called? And where can I find replacement? Thanks in advance 

One time poster
Message 18 of 19
Message 18 of 19

Worked well with removing the film and some cleaning........sure some problem with acoustics......but this is failure on part of Sony for such a premium device......encountered the problem after just 1 year of use.

One time poster
Message 19 of 19
Message 19 of 19

Hey guys, I too just had the left ear sound significantly refuse in volume. I just did the reset, but now the volume is extremely low and a bit echoey, in both ears. Any suggestions? I was gonna take the screens off and look, as many of you pointed out doing, but I wanted to ask if any of you guys had this problem. What was going on in just the left ear piece is now in both.. Such low volume they're pretty much unuseable. Please help! 

@Pinkoo1