account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Headphone with sinlge button doesn`t work

Learner
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

Headphone with sinlge button doesn`t work

Hello There,

I couldnt find this specific problem anywhere.

I just bought the Z3 Compact and when I tried to use my Marshall headphones, the button on the cord to pause and pass the songs doesnt work, when I press it surprisingly turn up the volume. The headphones have a single button and worked just fine on my previous phone, a Samsung S4 Mini and I tested on an Iphone 6 and also works fine. I`ve tried all the apps, SmartKey, Headset Button Controller, etc. The earphones that came together with the phone works perfectly, and it is also single button.

I saw a lot of things being said about CTIA and OMTP standards, but both Sony earphones and my Marshall are CTIA and I believe Z3 jack is CTIA as well, I dont think that`s the issue.

Can anyone help me out???

Thank you!

8 REPLIES 8
Emperor
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Re: Headphone with sinlge button doesn`t work

@yanborges

Most likely it's a compatibility issue as the Xperia Z3 and above use a 5-pin 3.5mm jack, the best suggestion is to contact Marshal directly on this. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Genius
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

Hi @yanborges

Please, from your Home screen try the following:
1. Tap the Application screen icon.
2. Find and tap Settings -> Apps.
3. Swipe to the All tab.
4. Find and tap on Smartconnect.
5. Tap Force stop -> Clear data.
6. Restart the phone.

Keep us updated please.

"We can have anything we want on life, if we just help others to found what they need” - Ebelsain Villegas
Learner
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

Hi @xavinux

I`ve tried what you said, no success. Slightly frowning Face

Any other suggestion?

Thanks anyway.

Highlighted
Genius
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

Hi @yanborges

Please check the following link:

http://www.xperiablog.net/2012/02/27/2012-xperia-range-uses-different-3-5mm-headset-standard/

Be sure that your Marshall headphones are CTIA too. 

"We can have anything we want on life, if we just help others to found what they need” - Ebelsain Villegas
Learner
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

@xavinux,

Just sent a message to Marshall, but I`m pretty sure is CTIA. Otherwise it would also not work on Iphone and Samsung which are both CTIA.

Their FAQ says: "We have chosen to adjust our product to support the dominating standard for mobile two-way communication. That is why we use a 3.5mm plug that works with devices that also use this unprotected standard like Iphone, Blackberry and HTC."

It might be just a compatibility issue, somehow. It`s very weird to have a Sony earphone with single-button that works and Marshall`s doesnt. Also, the Iphone earphones works fine.

Rgds

Learner
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

The headphones are CTIA as well, just confirmed with Marshall, here is their response:

"Hello Yan, thanks for contacting us. Yes, this definitely sounds like a compatibility issue. The Major II are CTIA, I presume that your Sony device is OMTP. It may be possible to find a CTIA ---> OMTP adapter plug at a local electronic shop."

Really hard to find if the Z3 is CTIA or not, or has its own standard, that doesnt make any sense. Slightly frowning Face

Emperor
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

@yanborges

Xperias since 2012 are CTIA, the Xperias from 2010 and 2011 are OMTP (Xperia X10, Arc, X8, Mini Pro, etc) 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

I also have a Z3C and recently bought a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 headphones. They have a 3 button controller with android support where volume up/down buttons works fine but the center button also triggers volume up. Sounds like the same problem to me.

I tried using them with iPhone and Samsung Galaxy S4 and the center button worked fine for both.