account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

whats new showing sponsored ads

Adviser
Message 1 of 12
Message 1 of 12

whats new showing sponsored ads

after updating to z1 c6902 lollipop i am getting sposored ads in whats new app & almost all other apps in lollipop like 9gag. sony is also pushing amazon app through whats new, why is sony is doing this. i dont know any other model is facing this, but i am irritated by this, half of my mobile data goes in this showing ads in between.whats new sponsored ads

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Message 2 of 12

Re: whats new showing sponsored ads

I think this is related to other apps that you have installed. Boot in safe mode and see if whats new still has ads:

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/How-to-boot-your-phone-into-safe-mode/m-p/348008#U348008

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Adviser
Message 3 of 12
Message 3 of 12

hard to say but it still showing ads & how can any other app or apps can show ads in other apps ?? when i restored it to factory version, it doesnt shows any ads even all other apps installed, it only shows after the update through whats new.Screenshot_2015-07-18-14-15-08.pngScreenshot_2015-07-18-14-18-15.png

Message 4 of 12
Message 4 of 12

This is a strange one. I saw this on xperia blog today:

http://www.xperiablog.net/2015/07/18/why-is-sony-pushing-the-amazon-app-in-the-xperia-update-centre/

Perhaps @Samuel can take a look after the weekend.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Master
Message 5 of 12
Message 5 of 12

You might experience that the Amazon application is now available in What's New. This is due to the fact that we believe that it will enhance the user experience. You don't have to install it if you don't want to.

Regarding sponsored ads, the only thing that changed is the text that says it's sponsored, the ads themselves has been there before and are based on what we believe can be interesting for you.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Message 6 of 12
Message 6 of 12

@Samuel wrote:

You might experience that the Amazon application is now available in What's New. This is due to the fact that we believe that it will enhance the user experience.

I find it really pathetic that a SUPPORT FORUM must see this type of language used. You need to delete this post and repost it with the correct text: "This is due to the fact that Amazon has paid us to do so".

It's a SUPPORT FORUM, we don't want marketing information, we want support information.

Adviser
Message 7 of 12
Message 7 of 12

mr samuel,

i want to say that this type of ads doesnt come in kitkat, after update to lollipop & the updation on whats new app, the ads now has come up. i flashed again kitkat & i dint see any ads in whats new app. i am using sony for the past 6 years & i didnt get any sponsored ads in between. i just got it in lollipop after i update my z1. so dont tell me lies.

Message 8 of 12
Message 8 of 12

After latest updates for What's new, amazon is not there anymore.

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 12
Message 9 of 12

delete Amazon app?

Instead of security fixes or Lollipop, my E4 got yesterday Amazon app via software update. If I delete it, SU want to install it again. Is there a way to delete it?

-edit- it's awesome that my post has been moved here, but it doesn't do anything with what's new.

-edit2- oh, now I see Slightly smiling Face okay, no problemo.

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 12
Message 10 of 12

Re: delete Amazon app?

well, dear @samuel, i don't want to get 3rd party apps via software update. su is not for that.