account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Whats new app delete

One time poster
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

Whats new app delete

When will it be delateable? 

4 REPLIES 4
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Re: Whats new app delete

Unfortunately it can't be uninstalled.. it seems that it still handles some third party app updates

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn to take care and troubleshoot your Device here:
Xperia Support by Sony: https://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/
Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

Hi @Zoo2465, sorry for the late reply.

Even if the application has been discounted, you won't be able to uninstall the application as @nolramlb mentioned.

If you go to Settings > Apps & notifictions > App info/See all xx apps > What's New > Storage > Clear data > OK you can clear all data for the application and it shouldn't take up that much space (300 KB in the device I'm using).

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

When Sony do discontinue an pre-installed App, I expect that there will be an update OTA that removes the App.

We have 2 pcs X Compact and would have removed the What's new App.

If it cant be removed the next Smartphone will be Android ONE - if Sony has one to offer, fine. If not it was the last Sony.... sorry to say. The per installed apps makes me more trouble than having fun or any benefit. Just annoing.

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

Hi @relook,

The application can't be uninstalled, but it still takes up very little space in the device if you just clear data for it, but the icon will still be there.

If you don't want to see the icon in the app drawer, just create a folder for it and put the unwanted applications that can't be uninstalled/deactived in there.

If you have your apps sorted alphabetical, make the folder and rename it so it starts with the last letter in the alphabet. For me it's ö, but in most languages it's probably z.

In our later models, What's New and some other pre-installed applications are not included. The Xperia 5 for example has the Google Phone application and not the Sony one.

I do understand you though, but since I can't be uninstalled, I can only give you some tips for how to make it hopefully, less annoying.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.