account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobile World Congress 2019

Sonys Press conference from MWC took place end of February
If you missed it you can watch it here.
Please join the discussion here and share your thoughts on what was anounced here. MWC 2019 discussion.

What's New "Usage Access"?

Enthusiast
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

What's New "Usage Access"?

So I am curious to know why the new update of "What's New" needs full usage access to my phone now? This is a little uncomfortable for me and I want to know what would happen if I revoked this? Version 3.5.A.0.2

Thank you.
8 REPLIES 8
Emperor
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Re: What's New "Usage Access"?

@Zero3hero

Settings > apps > settings > app permisions 

you can see which app has access to each permision. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

Hey again @uliwooly

Do you know why all of a sudden Sony needs full access and what exactly "update component usage statistics" is for? It allows the app to modify collected component usage statistics and says it's not for use by normal apps... So just what is a normal app then lot. It seems a little odd that this app needs these permissions but no one knows what it is actually doing in the background.
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

@Zero3hero You can remove what's new from reading your usage access. Go to settings - security - apps with usage access and set it to off.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

@Zero3hero wrote:
@hey again @uliwooly

Do you know why all of a sudden Sony needs full access and what exactly "update component usage statistics" is for? It allows the app to modify collected component usage statistics and says it's not for use by normal apps... So just what is a normal app then lot. It seems a little odd that this app needs these permissions but no one knows what it is actually doing in the background.

It's used in diagnostics... the phone won't log any app crashes, carrier dropouts or errors if it's not turned on. So you'll have to memorize what exactly happened.

//----------------- C:\》$ Path- Thyme: .trawler //-----------------Auto-Correct Disclaimer: Not sorry. //----------------- Batteries not included.
Enthusiast
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

Yes but that privilege is already granted the moment you decide to use the diagnostic app, why does "What's New" need the exact same privilege when it's already granted?
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

@Zero3hero But those might be seen as two different apps. Really don't know at the moment. Have you tried to ask your Local support?

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Apprentice
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

Zero3hero... the IT security industry has had some longstanding concerns about What's New permissions on phones. In response to this, a Sony "community manager" here posted the following response (linked at the bottom):

Johan - Community Manager on ‎2014-09-29:

"

I'm sorry for the long response time.

As What's New has been part of the Home application, it has retained some the original application permissions. However, What’s New doesn’t need or use each and every setting, so we’re phasing out all unnecessary and unused permissions as part of regular software updates. We understand that, due to these excess permissions, What’s New may give the wrong impression or cause some concern at the moment.

"

Part of this thread: http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/What-s-New/What-is-quot-What-s-New-quot-app/td-p/808575/page/2

Some permissions have been removed (i.e. Read your SMS or MMS) but others have been added. I have no idea why this app needs to "Connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi".

I certainly don't want it accessing my GPS location! I mean, it is an advertising / spam app, and at best it needs to know what county I'm in - it can get that from my cell tower LAC number.

So... Sony use this "What's New" app for all kinds of things, and I don't really think you'll get a clear answer as to why it needs Usage Access. I think they should rename "What's New" to "Sony Ads" or "The Sony App". Then our expectations of its activity would be more sensible!

Learner
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

"What's New" need the exact same privilege when it's already granted?