account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobile World Congress 2019

Sonys Press conference from MWC took place this monday
If you missed it you can watch it here.
Please join the discussion here and share your thoughts on what was anounced here. MWC 2019 discussion.

Stop unwanted sony app recommendations

SOLVED
Adviser
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

Stop unwanted sony app recommendations

Can anyone tell me how to stop Sony sending me endless unwanted and pointless child apps . I don't play games on my phone and don't have children but am endlessly pestered by Sony trying to sell me apps I don't want and especially don't want to be woken up in the middle of the night about 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

Re: Stop unwanted sony app recommendations

@gethinbwhich phone do you have? because the XZ2 Compact doesn't come with the What's New app anymore.

6 REPLIES 6
Adviser
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Can anyone tell me how to stop Sony sending me endless unwanted and pointless child apps . I don't play games on my phone and don't have children but am endlessly pestered by Sony trying to sell me apps I don't want and especially don't want to be woken up in the middle of the night about 

Highlighted
Emperor
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

@gethinb

Are you referring to 

settings > system > Software update > Applications updates 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Adviser
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

I have found a setting in "whats new" app, that gave me the option to turn off notifications, so with luck I can get a full night's sleep without my phone endlessly beeping at me !

Alternatively I guess I could try to remember to turn off both mobile data and Wi-Fi when I go to bed !!

I can't believe Sony make phones like this !!! 

Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

@gethinbwhich phone do you have? because the XZ2 Compact doesn't come with the What's New app anymore.

Adviser
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

Ok. Great idea thanks. I've found that I can disable that app in my xz1. Thanks for your help .

One time poster
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

I have the same problem with my  XPERIA M5.

It also cause the phone to consume a lot of power. 

It alsom make the system sowtware to stop. (In Swedish "gränssnitt stoppat")

I made a software repair and power consumption was normal and I didn't have any problems for 6 weeks. I have disabled and blocked announcements on all apps possible.

I Still got this problem back yesterday March 8 2019.

Sony support  They refer to a solution that doesn't work. They also deny there is a lot of cuctomers complaining and my case is a rare one.

I have also sent thiss message to Sony information officer.

Whats new embodies all reasons for which I would not buy your products again: how u force crap on your customers and how you take us for stupid. Even if I set all setting to "no automatic update" each time my battery dies and my phone is powered back on all the updates strt downloading. I set NO UPDATES! You ignore my preference and play this nasty sneaky game! Whats new is ine of the apps that always tries to update itself despite my settings, it takes 25 MB memory of my phone. I paid for the memory omy phone ! I want to use it for whatever I need not for your bloatware!!

I have no response from