account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Messages of whats new app

Apprentice
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

Messages of whats new app

Hi Sony,

With the latest update of the What's New app it is giving regularly messages abouts app I should use or some other information. Unfortunately I cannot seem to turn this off. I have given the app no rights to push notifications, and I cannot remove the app. Setting the app back to the factory version gives me a few days respite, until it has updated itself again.

Could you please tell me how to disable or remove this app, or provide an update for this? The manufacturer of my phone should not abuse it's power to force me to see ads. I have paid fully for the phone, it is not ad-supported freeware.

I am looking forward to your reply.

Kind regards,

Jaco2

4 REPLIES 4
Emperor
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Re: Messages of whats new app

@Jaco2

Open the what's new app > swipe left to right > settings > show notifications > off

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Apprentice
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

Thank you for the suggestion @uliwooly. I don't want to open the app because it collects personal information - something I have to approve before being able to open it. 

So it seems Sony gives me two bad options: either accept spam being pushed, or tell them all about myself. Congratulations Sony,  you just made my phone useless.

I don't like being pushed this way. The phone is two years old, I'll buy a new one. Not a Sony this time. Too bad really, I quite enjoyed it.

Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

Install Android SDK Platform Tools, set up USB debugging, then run

adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.sonymobile.entrance

Apprentice
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

I don't know yet if this works, but I have been able to do the following:

- disconnect wifi and

- disable your data connection so you are not connected to internet

Now start the whats new app. It will not ask for any permissions to access your data or approval to sell your soul.

Open the settings, and disable the notifications. Try not to be disturbed by the amount of garbage the app wants you to see and quickly close it again. 

Enable your data and wifi again.

If I understand correctly the app does not have access to your data since you didn't consent to anything, but it will stop the notifications without having to root your phone. I hope this helps somebody.