account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobile World Congress 2019

Sonys Press conference from MWC took place end of February
If you missed it you can watch it here.
Please join the discussion here and share your thoughts on what was anounced here. MWC 2019 discussion.

.How do I disable the built-in What's New app? It's irritating me.

SOLVED
Learner
Message 61 of 70
Message 61 of 70

Re: What's new app - crap.

Screenshot_20180518-173112.png

Screenshot_20180518-173129.png

Screenshot_20180518-173124.png

Screenshot_20180518-173136.png

Good luck with trying something that wouldn't void the warranty...

I am not going to pretend that this app sends notifications unintentionally despite the settings as this is the only app doing this. Sony knows exactly what they did. I won't hesitate to switch to Google Pixel models since I was tolerating this long enough with other users requests to switch this poo off in the meantime.

Sony, I'm waiting for your response!

It's so nice that you even have to update this "in your face" app of yours Sony... otherwise it'll just update itself anyway. How convenient...Screenshot_20180520-031809.pngIn your face app, only from Sony.

Learner
Message 62 of 70
Message 62 of 70

Sony, thank you so much for merging all the topics to make it look like there are no complaints...since you are guys unable to answer since 2015... O.o

What kind of customer service is that? You must truly be proud of your marketing team - one thing they know how to do is annoy your customers and ignore them as a reward. Great job in this step back.

Screenshot_20180521-055849.png

Learner
Message 63 of 70
Message 63 of 70

Screenshot_20180526-000006.png

Is anyone from Sony willing to answer?

Or are you really going to pretend that nothing is happening...

Visitor
Message 64 of 70
Message 64 of 70

Get the App: DNS66 

Add the hosts:

sony.com

https://sony.com

sonymobile.com

https://sonymobile.com 

Under Apps: Show System Apps and disable: Sony Updates

Disable Notifications in: WhatsNew (like before)

Never will see something from Sony again

Visitor
Message 65 of 70
Message 65 of 70

I'm pretty tolerant as a user. I've put up with this for two years. I just wanted to know if I could turn it off because - and I can't stress this enough - every update is so boring it actually depresses me. 

To come here and find that the issue is totally ignored, that tells me I'll ignore Sony on my next re-up.

One time poster
Message 66 of 70
Message 66 of 70

Re: .How do I disable the built-in What's New app? It's irritating me.

Thanks @MikelWard, the adb command worked for me on my XZ1 Compact (UK), having run it from Windows. Glad to be rid of that terrible app, for now at least. Who creates this s**t??

For those as clueless as me...

I downloaded and extracted platform tools zip from: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools

I enabled USB debugging on the phone: Settings -> System -> About phone and hitting the 'Buid number' seven times, produces a new menu option System -> Developer options, under which I enabled USB debugging.

Plugged into PC

Opened command prompt in platform tools location, and typed:

adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.sonymobile.entrance

First time the command failed because the phone needed to authorise this PC, sure enough the phone's screen had a box on it to 'allow' such command, second time of running command = immediate Success.

Pity such great hardware is ruined by one terrible app. Sony, you su*k. (can't believe the word s-u-c-k was 'bleeped out' before I edited this).

One time poster
Message 67 of 70
Message 67 of 70

Re: How do I uninstall this irritating What's New app?

That app is literally the most irritating bit of bloat ware ever, i am not actually going to buy another Sony phone because this is the second that's had it and I thought with a premium model they might atleast not bother trying to make some extra cash of advertisements. FU Sony 🖕

One time poster
Message 68 of 70
Message 68 of 70

I did this and am still getting notifications. 

I have pressed force stop too, and still get notifications. 

I have disabled everything, all permissions etc. 

Not only can I not delete or stop notifications I cannot stop it using my data either. 

Please - do I have to buy a new phone that is not Sony?

Because I will not root a phone... I don't even know what that is. 

But this is really pissing me off.

One time poster
Message 69 of 70
Message 69 of 70

Created an account to corroborate this concern. I can't uninstall or disable What's New, though I was able to uninstall updates and at least select that no notifications be shown. It does not produce notifications on my notification bar but does produce notification dots. Opening the app, opening its left menu, then viewing "Updates" will temporarily clear the notification dots.

I would like to ask Sony to allow disabling of this app since the apps it insists we download are redundant insisted upon by the software update application accessible through Settings>System >Software Update. Sony should not try to trick novice users into believing these insisted apps are necessary for the phone to work properly and installing bloatware should be punishable by death but that's a different discussion.

If a software update can't easily fix this, please consider how disappointing this one ugly blot on your otherwise very clean Xperia XZ1 Compact is for users.

One time poster
Message 70 of 70
Message 70 of 70

I've especially created an account just to add my two cents for this. And I "will" keep it clean.

I was one of the early adaptors of the Xperia XZ. Paid for it big time. I remember the golden age of mechanic and analog devices, where if you'd pay a rib, you'd enjoy quality for twenty years.

But what does SONY do:

SONY just omits the 'investment/quality' ratio and decides to spam your phone anyway. It's classless.

If I pay full price, I demand the highest quality. What I get instead is a slower OS with each update.

SONY you have lost  my trust and respect @ mobile market. I'm never purchasing a SONY smartphone ever again.

With that out of my chest, let me turn on my PS4 and play some games.

signed,

John