account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

.How do I disable the built-in What's New app? It's irritating me.

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 51 of 70
Message 51 of 70

Re: .How do I disable the built-in What's New app? It's irritating me.

I agree, my first and last sony mobile phone. I did not pay that much money to get forced by sony, which app is installed on my device (yes it is my device).  It is a kind of disrespect. This is a fudamental topic sony does not see or does not care about. 

When they disrespect this demand, I ask myself, what about other topics, which are not obviously to the user (data security, etc.). 

I do not trust sony. Sorry

Learner
Message 52 of 70
Message 52 of 70

Finally! A solution to getting rid of the "what's new "notification!

A Huawei Mate 10!

Great phone with a design that is years years ahead of Sony with way better battery like an screen with no annoying software that you can't switch off.

Game over Sony - maybe you could become a game console maker.......

Thank you Huawei!

Message 53 of 70
Message 53 of 70

This thread is wrongly set as "answered", how do we get this changed? It's obviously not answered.

Regular
Message 54 of 70
Message 54 of 70

I suspect this thread needs to be copied and pasted to a new one.  Though none of the old threads' repondents will be notified of updates.

One time poster
Message 55 of 70
Message 55 of 70

Re: How do I turn off notifications for the "What's New" app?

I seriously went through all the trouble of rooting my device

JUST

BECAUSE

OF

THIS

APP

Before, you couldn`t remove it but, ok, disable it and let it be a dead weight on your phone. Now you are obligated to have it running 24/7? This is just unjustifiable. 

I will make an official complain by sending an e-mail through the contact form. I suggest every single person that gets to this apparently abandoned thread to do de same, since an e-mail have to be read and computed, at least to go into some sort of data that will maybe one day be analyzed probably by an intern... but still, it is some kind of way to be heard (as if it wasn`t their obligation to give at least an aknowlegment of this issue)

One time poster
Message 56 of 70
Message 56 of 70

Re: How do I disable the WHAT'S NEW app?

It is incredible that such a big company like Sony is, making smart phones that heat and get very warm after some minutes of watching or making videos and then closing up the apps. In my case the Z3+ is an exemple, it is unacceptable. If you want to keep your custumers, aim to please them, otherwise you lose them

Regular
Message 57 of 70
Message 57 of 70

Re: How do I turn off notifications for the "What's New" app?

Good idea, though I wonder if you got any response from Sony ?  

Regular
Message 58 of 70
Message 58 of 70

Re: How do I disable the WHAT'S NEW app?

The overheating appears to be a problem with most Xperia devices, (some websites have reported the issue with even the XZ2 released April 2018)!

The problem is not just during recording video, but can be caused by extended web browsing, gaming, video playback, camera use, and many other apps that are heavy on battery use and max CPU/GPU performance.

It supposedly doesn't shorten the phones' life significantly, but the devices can become too hot to hold, and the phone will frequently respond to the issue by disabling the camera until it cools down — not desirable when you're on holiday or sightseeing and expecting to take lots of great photos with that 19MP f2.0 camera, or a bit of 4K video.

To avoid the issue, you have to take breaks with the phone, close all apps that you're not using, and stop using covers on your device which typically restrict effective cooling.

Learner
Message 59 of 70
Message 59 of 70

What's new app - crap.

Hi There,

I can not believe that even though Sony have learned to quit their's original annoying Sony Xperia software / modyfied Android now we get to have commercials thrown at our faces thanks to this super  What's new. I'm using XZ1 and I'm thinking about the new model but this app just gets my frustration to the highest level. You can not remove this crap. You can not disable it.

I know I am not the only person out there. Sony will you finally listen to your customers and learn that you are loosing more than actually gaining over this super  idea of yours to earn more by micro-payments. NO! This isn't the marketing I want, this isn't the marketing I need so please let some of us delete this useless app! If I'll be interested in what Sony has new to offer - trust me I'll find out.

I have plenty of Sony products starting with two DSLR's, even wh-1000xm2...but this app really is not what I am interested in, especially that you are forcing it on every user - this is dumbest marketing I have ever seen.

With all due respect; for some of us - if we'll need something I am pretty sure we'll manage to find alternatives ourselves so please shove this app in the developers ... bin.

Pioneer
Message 60 of 70
Message 60 of 70

Re: What's new app - crap.

@Bloodrazor

Have you tried turning off the notifications permissions of the app?