account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobile World Congress 2019

Sonys Press conference from MWC took place end of February
If you missed it you can watch it here.
Please join the discussion here and share your thoughts on what was anounced here. MWC 2019 discussion.

.How do I disable the built-in What's New app? It's irritating me.

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 31 of 70
Message 31 of 70

Re: .How do I disable the built-in What's New app? It's irritating me.

Since this week I got this annoying "Softwareupdate" Notification from What´s New on my screen and I cannot swipe it away! I diabled the notification, stopped the app, deleted files. it comes up again and again and again. This app is a pain in the a** I don´t undertand why you force your customers to use this app and you give your customers no chance to deactivate it. I´m using Sony mobile phones since the one with the attachable external camera. I used all Xperia Phones from z1 to actually Xperia X. This What´s new app annoyes me for years now. You marked this topic as solved, well thats not solved, the problem got even worse! If this app stays like this my next phone will be a HTC or Samsung and I will also recommend that to my family who all have Sony phones because of me. I´m sick of this useless and annoying app. I hope you do something for you rcustomers otherwise you will lose them in my case 5+ people who want to change their smart phone by end of this year and it will not be a Sony anymore if this app stays like it is now. Annyoing, uninstallable and useless. Regards, Proph

Learner
Message 32 of 70
Message 32 of 70

Similarly frustrated with not being able to disable what's new with no sensible solution.

My wife bought a one plus 3 which is a very impressive phone with a very simple and up to date Oxygen OS and to my astonishment better build quality with no visible plastic parts all this for $200 less -Sorry Sony I just found my new phone.

Inhabitant
Message 33 of 70
Message 33 of 70

Found a solution on this Reddit thread...

Install Android SDK Platform Tools, set up USB debugging, then run

adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.sonymobile.entrance
Learner
Message 34 of 70
Message 34 of 70

Solution given does NOT work!

App keeps sending updates and as wakes me up, disturbs me late at night and any other time when sent. 

SONY, please just find a way for us adults who dislike the idiotic app to remove it.

Yes, I'm really upset, today I'm sick and trying to heal, all others apps under control and what wakes me up..? You guessed it. The famously irritating app.

I'm a client since the beginning of the 90' when phone was a brick size and produced under the Swedish company Ericsson, I have your phones and tablets but you are just about to lose me over this, by me unused and disliked app!

And it is obvious I'm NOT alone.

Learn to listen to your customers, act! 

Sincerely and in pain,

Christina Svensson 

Learner
Message 35 of 70
Message 35 of 70

Found on line, only way how to remove the unfriendly app but this is above my android skills. So Sony, again, how to remove what is new app without having to to the lengths described in attached? Absolutely loathe the disturbing app. And Im not the only one, so Sony, listen to your customers... 

https://forum.xda-developers.com/z3-compact/development/mod-rootremove-whats-navring-small-apps-t290...

One time poster
Message 36 of 70
Message 36 of 70

I love Sony phones, I love the layout and the ease with which I can navigate my way around, but this Whats New app is an unwanted intrusion into my life. It has purposely been designed so that it cannot be disabled, no matter what you do it will keep switching itself back on. I need to leave my phone turned on with sound for work reasons, and when this messages me in my sleep I want to throw this phone out window. I have spent a lot of money on this phone and now Sony holds the reigns on how and when I will be contacted/disturbed. It is an unsolicited intrusion that is shoved in my face. I cannot describe how angry this makes me. I NEVER sign up to manufacturers "communities" to voice my opinion but today I feel compelled to let this out. LOSE THIS APP OR LOSE MY CUSTOM FOR LIFE. There are plenty of great options out there now and I don't need this crap.... better still, give me my money back and I'll go buy an iphone.

Visitor
Message 37 of 70
Message 37 of 70

This DOES NOT WORK and the thread is NOT solved in any way for any of the SEVERAL unsatisfied posters.

Visitor
Message 38 of 70
Message 38 of 70

This is NOT a solution, it does NOT work. This thread is NOT solved. How many years has it been now? Sony is a joke.

Apprentice
Message 39 of 70
Message 39 of 70

Terrible app and my last Sony phone as a result. So infuriating that this is marked as solved. Do Sony listen at all? 

Time to root the phone and get rid once and for all.

One time poster
Message 40 of 70
Message 40 of 70

EXACTLY!!!! Some guys from Sony are obviously OUT OF THEIR MINDS, since this app makes me feel this  is the last Sony phone I ever bought.... As someone mentioned above, me I'm also never posting on forums like this (especially past 1 a.m in the night), but this is way to much to take, as it makes my phone (M2 Aqua) almost unusable!! Always out of device memory, and as I delete some apps it doesn't give me more memory space - "what's new" uses it all up for unwanted updates!!! Asking again  - are you people out of your minds????

Ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Outrage!!!!!