account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobile World Congress 2019

Sonys Press conference from MWC took place end of February
If you missed it you can watch it here.
Please join the discussion here and share your thoughts on what was anounced here. MWC 2019 discussion.

.How do I disable the built-in What's New app? It's irritating me.

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 21 of 70
Message 21 of 70

Re: How do I turn off notifications for the "What's New" app?

@Vee_Crabtree wrote:

farnz started a thread asking how to DISABLE What's New in 2015 Feb, and unfortunately no-one has been able to help - his thread lasted one year.

steph17 then asked a different question - how to REMOVE What's app, in 2016 Feb. The admins mistook her question to be the same as how do you DISABLE the app, and merged the threads. Either that, or they were trying to hide negative feedback (but surely, they wouldn't do that, as honest human beings).

Because steph17's post was merged into the "How do I disable..." thread, other users end up asking the same question.

So in 2016 March, Bol asked "How do I uninstall this irritating What's New app"... and in 2016 Apr, BTJ also asked how you disable it.

In 2016 Apr I asked how do I TURN OFF NOTIFICATIONS. The admins mistook this question to mean the same thing as asking how you DISABLE the app, so my thread got merged too.

So I explained all this in May sometime, but my post has been deleted... leaving everyone in the dark again about what this thread is about!

So in summary, presuming that the threads have all been merged intentionally, does anyone know:

(1) How can you UNINSTALL What's New?
or, failing that,
(2) How can you DISABLE What's New?
or, failing that, my original question:
(3) How can you disable notifications?

And assuming you can't, a new question (I'll ask here, to save the admins having to merge it into this thread):

(4) How can I disable updates for What's New?

I do occasionally click on "Force Stop" on it but that makes little long-term difference.

(5) What's New is a waste of processor cycles, a waste of WiFi usage, and a waste of local storage on the device, and all it ever does is push adverts at me for things I'm not interested in. Ideally, I don't want to break warranty by rooting the phone, but is it Sony's intent that rooting the device is the only way to remove What's New?

You painted a perfect picture for me, Vee. I just signed up to this support forum with everything this post expresses on my mind! I use my phone to help with my profession, and I need every spare clock-cycle focused on what I am doing. Apps like this should be OPTIONAL. I just want a barebone phone. No bloatware. Is this too much to ask? I am now thinking there is no way to get my wish. I wonder if an iPhone would better suit my needs...

Rookie
Message 22 of 70
Message 22 of 70

Re: .How do I disable the built-in What's New app? It's irritating me.

Sony thinking out loud: "Why care about giving the customer what they want? Better stuff this ugly and pointless app down their throats instead. We know best"

Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 23 of 70
Message 23 of 70

More info here:

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/What-s-New/Get-rid-of-quot-What-s-New-quot/m-p/1170969#M380

Screenshot_20161023-161837.png

//----------------- C:\》$ Path- Thyme: .trawler //-----------------Auto-Correct Disclaimer: Not sorry. //----------------- Batteries not included.
Sony Xperia Support
Message 24 of 70
Message 24 of 70

Hi all,

As have been mentioned, it isn't currently possible to remove the What's New app. It is possible to disable notifications from it though.

To disable notifications in What's New

1. From your Home screen, tap the Application screen icon.
  2. Find and tap What's New.
  3. Drag the left edge of the screen to the right, then find and tap Settings.
  4. Drag the slider beside Show notifications to the left.

I will also forward your thoughts on this as user feedback.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 25 of 70
Message 25 of 70

This has been going on for nearly a year. This is not good enough.

Please fix this problem with next update.

No excuses, if my next phone should be a Sony

Apprentice
Message 26 of 70
Message 26 of 70

Getting game notifications from What's new app even though disabled. Stop it please, didn't buy a phone for getting spammed.

Adept
Message 27 of 70
Message 27 of 70

@Christofer wrote:

Hi all,

As have been mentioned, it isn't currently possible to remove the What's New app. It is possible to disable notifications from it though.

To disable notifications in What's New

1. From your Home screen, tap the Application screen icon.
  2. Find and tap What's New.
  3. Drag the left edge of the screen to the right, then find and tap Settings.
  4. Drag the slider beside Show notifications to the left.

I will also forward your thoughts on this as user feedback.

Thanks, but irrespective of doing all of this, and more, the app updates automatically and you're back to square one! Unacceptable. My next phone will not be a Sony.

One time poster
Message 28 of 70
Message 28 of 70

So, I work on a tanker ships, internet connection is extremly slow, we use it mainly to exchange some pictures (200Kb)with family members. Something more than that is dificult. And then, even after I disabeled all updates, this **bleep** f###ing app decides that it is good idea to update "Track ID" (7Mb) !!!
Sorry Sony but this app alone will be the reason why me, and a lot of othrr users will not continue to use your phones, and you will get extremely bad reviews...
If I pay premium price for a premium phone, I dont want any comercials from manufacturers app
Fix this problem, not asap, but now!
Because of this app I was not able to download picture of my children.
One time poster
Message 29 of 70
Message 29 of 70

I had to sigh in to just to add what I don't think anyone else has posted yet. It does not stick to just WiFi it all uses the cellular connection too. This is my second experia phone. I wound up rooting the first one just for this app. Well not this time. I bought the XZ international unlocked and this will be my last experia thanks to this app and it's data needs and also your software update app since thier is no way to disable it and it uses cell data also. I don't know what your data plans are when you work at Sony but the rest of us, well it makes a difference. I am at 50mb so far just for this app and I force close it every time I restart my phone.

Learner
Message 30 of 70
Message 30 of 70

@Coupevt wrote:

Getting game notifications from What's new app even though disabled. Stop it please, didn't buy a phone for getting spammed.

Same here with my M4 Dual. I was a Sony customer since the SE walkman mobile phones but my next smartphone will be the first time not from Sony.