account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

.How do I disable the built-in What's New app? It's irritating me.

SOLVED
Learner
Message 41 of 70
Message 41 of 70

Re: .How do I disable the built-in What's New app? It's irritating me.

The solution with the platform tools worked for me only with some adaptions, because I have a Mac. Of course you first have to enable developer settings on you Sony Android Device, see for example here: https://www.howtogeek.com/129728/how-to-access-the-developer-options-menu-and-enable-usb-debugging-o...

After I activated USB debugging on the now-availabe developer settings on my phone and connected it with my Mac (after  connecting, choose on your phone MTP transfer in case you are asked and allow USB debugging again if asked; disconnect all other USB devices) this is what I did on my Mac:

1. I installed "Android Studio" for Mac, see here: https://developer.android.com/studio/index.html  you have to run it at least once so it can finish the installation 2. opened the Terminal (you can find it easily with the searching function) and entered the following line: cd /Users/(insert here your username on your mac)/Library/Android/sdk/platform-tools  3. entered in the terminal: ./adb devices 4. entered in the terminal: ./adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.sonymobile.entrance (the answer of the Terminal should now be: Successfull)

Since then, What's New is marked as not installed in the App list - yippie :-)

But better be carefull, save your data with Companion first - It worked here but that doesn't ncessarily mean it'll work elsewhere...

Highlighted
Regular
Message 42 of 70
Message 42 of 70

Re: How do I turn off notifications for the "What's New" app?

Switching to iPhone is not really a solution, you will find plenty of other annoyances with iOS.

Better to look at stock Android devices like Nexus/Pixel phones,  Oneplus 5 with almost no bloatware, or an Android One OS phone line the Xiaomi A1, which has zero bloat and maximum performance. 

Regular
Message 43 of 70
Message 43 of 70

As much as I enjoy the design of their hardware, Sony's bloatware and locked down bootloader are most likely to be focused on the Japanese market, with the cultural expectation that customers will just quietly accept whatever air they get dealt and never question or react to the manufacturer/retailer.

This may be largely to blame for Sony's shrinking user base and the recent  down-sizing of their mobile division.

Don't hold your breath for change. 

Visitor
Message 44 of 70
Message 44 of 70

This just worked for me on Z32+ dual sim; running 7.1.1... such joy I've not known for some time... the sound of silence Grinning Face

Visitor
Message 45 of 70
Message 45 of 70

(I'm referring to the below command line):

adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.sonymobile.entrance

:-)

One time poster
Message 46 of 70
Message 46 of 70

I was  not able to get these instructions to work using talkback.  I am a blind user.  My new Xperia x a ultra is going back to the store.  I was willing to tolerate the extreme bloatware, but I can't have these notifications going off in my classes and meetings.  Goodbye sony. 

One time poster
Message 47 of 70
Message 47 of 70

Yes indeed sony doesnt give a rats  about its customer, a quick google search shows that to.

One time poster
Message 48 of 70
Message 48 of 70

....and another customer who will not buy another sony smart phone until "Whats New" is removed.

We owned...

2 Xperia compact

2 Xperia Z1

1 Xperia XZ

....about the manufacturer of the next one, I only know one fact: his name will not be "Sony"!

Really sad, as I liked and preferred Sony products for the last 30 years......but this one is too much!

As others already said: I bought this device, so it is mine, not yours Sony! What gives you the right to annoy me through my device at all day times!!?!!

Some of your software/marketing guys seem to be a little bit crazy......maybe you should better get rid of them, than get rid of thousands of customers?

One time poster
Message 49 of 70
Message 49 of 70

Same as everyone above

Phone whining about too little space, and the problem is Sony bloatware. So update the app so Sony management gets the notivication for making it unable to delete the useless app. How many sales has the app generated for stupid themes VS unsatisfied costumers. I congradulate Sony management their incompetence, and Will warn friends about midnight /midmeeting themebuy alarms. You lost me as a costumer. Going for a clean Android next time. My Phone has mimimal a year of life left in in but is Just too annoying. Congrats to Sony for bringing it to Our e-waste Mountain,SAD.

One time poster
Message 50 of 70
Message 50 of 70

I'm also finding this What's New app annoying.

I've had couple of sony mobile phones but this is the first Sony smartphone I have had (L1). I've had Samsung smartphones mostly.

This will be the last Sony phone I'll own. I got it as a free upgrade anyway, glad I did not pay for it.

Also this topic is still not solved. It's a disgrace to mark it as solved.