account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

.How do I disable the built-in What's New app? It's irritating me.

SOLVED
Learner
Message 1 of 70
Message 1 of 70

.How do I disable the built-in What's New app? It's irritating me.

I've got a Z3 Compact running Android 4.4.4 (build 23.0.1.A.5.77), and I've nearly managed to get it to work the way I'd like it to. There's one remaining irritation: when I drag upwards from the "Home" button, I'd expect (based on other phones I've owned) to get Google Now. On the Z3 Compact, I get two circles - "What's New" on the left, and "Google" on the right, and I have to be careful to hit the Google circle, not the What's New circle.

I'd like to tell What's New that it's simply getting in the way and upsetting me, but it doesn't appear to be possible to do so. Xperia Care UK tell me that it can't be done - that Sony have decided that I've simply got to put up with this, whether I like it or not, and that if I use the instructions floating round the Internet for disabling it with adb, I'm going to make the phone unsupportable, with possible warranty implications. They've also said that they won't give feedback to Sony Mobile for me, as that's not something they're allowed to do.

This is the last thing that's irritating me from the pre-installed software, and I'd like to get it fixed. How do I get Sony Mobile's attention?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 24 of 70
Message 24 of 70

Re: .How do I disable the built-in What's New app? It's irritating me.

Hi all,

As have been mentioned, it isn't currently possible to remove the What's New app. It is possible to disable notifications from it though.

To disable notifications in What's New

1. From your Home screen, tap the Application screen icon.
  2. Find and tap What's New.
  3. Drag the left edge of the screen to the right, then find and tap Settings.
  4. Drag the slider beside Show notifications to the left.

I will also forward your thoughts on this as user feedback.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

View solution in original post

69 REPLIES 69
Emperor
Message 2 of 70
Message 2 of 70

What if you disable what's new?

settings > apps > all > what's new > disable

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Forum Legend
Message 3 of 70
Message 3 of 70

If the above doesn't work then download Debloater from here and install and Run and connect your phone then when detected click Read Device Packages to run a scan then find the app in question and then Tick the box next to it and then hit Apply - Job done but please see here for more details

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Learner
Message 4 of 70
Message 4 of 70

How do I "disable what's new"? The button to do so in Apps is greyed out.
Learner
Message 5 of 70
Message 5 of 70

Is Debloater formally supported by Sony Mobile? I've looked at similar tools, but Sony has said that using them may invalidate my warranty.
Emperor
Message 6 of 70
Message 6 of 70

@farnz Unlocking the bootlaoder will void your warranty, check for rooting on the XDA forum 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Learner
Message 7 of 70
Message 7 of 70

I've now had an official response from Sony Mobile, off the back of this forum post.

Version 1.4.A.0.1 of the What's New app is now rolling to the UK, and will resolve my issue.

Emperor
Message 8 of 70
Message 8 of 70

I'm glad to hear that

@farnz 

Highlighted
Message 9 of 70
Message 9 of 70

@uliwooly wrote:

I'm glad to hear that

@farnz 

Unfortunately Sony thought that collecting customer data and pushing their "recommendations" (.e.g. Amazon) was too important and therefore went back and made "What's New" impossible to disable again.

Visitor
Message 10 of 70
Message 10 of 70

Removing "What's New" app

is there anyone here know how to remove What's New app on my device? i've been searching it for how many times now but i can find any. Thanks for the help in advance Slightly smiling Face