account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Get rid of "What's New"

SOLVED
Regular
Message 61 of 173
Message 61 of 173

Re: Get rid of "What's New"

Um, you know they fixed it, right?

One time poster
Message 62 of 173
Message 62 of 173

If you are still having this problem you need to go into your update centre and update the What's New app. It will then disappear from your home button.
Message 63 of 173
Message 63 of 173

Hello all,

I understand that the pm block com.sonymobile.advancedwidget.entrance command in adb worked before the Lollipop update, but I have Lollipop on a Xperia Z3 Compact and it seems that command no longer works or is recognized on Lollipop. I tried "hide" instead" of "block" like someone else suggested and although it recognized it it made no difference. I am trying to remove the What's New app from the app menu. Anyone know if this is possible on Lollipop?

Thanks

Message 64 of 173
Message 64 of 173

What's new should not even be there anymore as far as I am aware.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Message 65 of 173
Message 65 of 173

I have Android Lollipop on Sony Xperia Z3 Compact and What's New is an app on it and you cannot delete it or disable it.

Message 66 of 173
Message 66 of 173

Are you talking about what's new shortcut near google now button? The app must be there,it holds the app updates with 5.0.2.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

One time poster
Message 67 of 173
Message 67 of 173

You can remove it from your home screen to get it out of the way by simply pressing and holding it and sliding it up to the highlighted red 'remove' that appears at the top of your screen. This will get it off your home screen effectively disabling it, but it still appears in your apps menu but at least the annoying massive thing is off your home screen.

One time poster
Message 68 of 173
Message 68 of 173

Completely agree. What an enoying app this is. Forcing it on me, as if i do not know what i want. If SONY wants me to keep buying its products, it seriously has got to stop practices like this.
Regular
Message 69 of 173
Message 69 of 173

$ adb shell
$ pm hide com.sonymobile.entrance
Package com.sonymobile.entrance new hidden state: true
$ exit
$ adb reboot

Voila!

One time poster
Message 70 of 173
Message 70 of 173

$ adb shell
$ pm hide com.sonymobile.entrance
Package com.sonymobile.entrance new hidden state: true
$ exit
$ adb reboot

Ok that gets rid of it...temporarily...after a few days it pops up in software update along with other apps like trackid and sketch which you might have uninstalled. I currently have the following 

adb shell
pm hide com.sonymobile.advancedwidget.entrance
pm hide com.sonymobile.entrance
pm hide com.sony.smallapp.launcher
pm hide com.sony.smallapp.app.widget
pm hide com.sonyericsson.updatecenter
exit
adb reboot

but I think i've sacrificed OTA updates the pc software still checks for system updates