account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Get rid of "What's New"

SOLVED
Rookie
Message 31 of 173
Message 31 of 173

Re: Get rid of "What's New"

Please remove the silly WHATS NEW crapware!!
One time poster
Message 32 of 173
Message 32 of 173

Contract ends January 2015 with early upgrade for October... was going to get Xperia Z2, now sony can do one! most invasive piece of software! ill have to root now, im not happy

One time poster
Message 33 of 173
Message 33 of 173

I'm a long time iPhone user and I bought an X2 to cope with the Malaysian monsoon, as you know, unlike the iPhone, it's waterproof.

So it is a forced android conversion for me and I'm a bit hostile. There are a lot of annoyances which I'm getting used to, but top of the list, and I'm not getrting used to it, is the stupid "What's new." I loathe it, I don't want it, for all the money I spent I should not have to put up with it.

Every time the stupid whats new screen comes up, my opinion of Android and Sony goes down a littke more. Please tell me how to get rid of it.

Inhabitant
Message 34 of 173
Message 34 of 173

I've just followed akk2's instructions and it works!  "What's New" has completely disappeared from my phone.

Visitor
Message 35 of 173
Message 35 of 173

I absolutely hate these useless applications forced on us. This is my first smartphone (yeah, I'm late to the party) and I'm getting mighty tired of these apps constantly wanting updates when I never use them and can't get rid of them. It is **bleep** annoying and I just want to tear the junk out of my phone.
Inhabitant
Message 36 of 173
Message 36 of 173

If you want to get rid of "What's New", then follow akk2's instructions on Page 2 of this thread.

If you require more info then fillow this - thanks to kashy27 on the xda-developers forum (xda-developers dot com)

1: download adb (I cant post outside links yet, so just google this, there should be 3 files in a zip)
2: store it in the root of C:\
3: go into your phone Settings>about Phone>then click like 10 times on the 'build number' box until you are granted developer privileges
4: go into your phone Settings>Developer Options>and enable USB debugging and connect your phone to the computer
3: open cmd in administrator mode
4: navigate to the folder with adb by typing the following: cd c:\adb
5: type the following then press enter: adb shell
6: type the following then press enter pm block com.sonymobile.advancedwidget.entrance
7: reboot

If you want to stop these apps updating, then on your Xperia phone go to Update Centre, click the 3 dots in the top right,  Manage Updates and hide the updates for anything that you don't want to update or have disabled,

This way you can get rid of "What's New" and stop the phone updating software that you don't want and will never use.

Learner
Message 37 of 173
Message 37 of 173

YES ME TOO, IT'S VERY VERY VERY VERY ANNOYING, i have to use capslock because sony after-sales is very bad they never hear us.
And also get rid "sony select" "socialife" "xperia care" and other trash apps
Inhabitant
Message 38 of 173
Message 38 of 173

My friend decided to root his phone and get rid all of the useless SONY crapware... Result is better performance and hassle free.. "We buy the phone but we didn't have any total rights for total control.. customer never win isn't it..?"

Visitor
Message 39 of 173
Message 39 of 173

Re: "What's New" app on Home button

Hello

Samuel wrote: "As far as I know it's unfortunately not possible to remove this function or deactivate the Whats New-app."

Of course it's possible to remove it. It hasn't been there before!

It seems sony lost the relations to it's customers. Why replacing a usefull function with a stupid one?

Sony is one more time disapointing.

One time poster
Message 40 of 173
Message 40 of 173

Please, I need to uninstall this what's new. It's just an app.I do not needed