account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get rid of "What's New"

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 11 of 103
Message 11 of 103

Re: Get rid of "What's New"

I just got my Z2 two days ago and I ran into the same problem : What's New app **bleep**.

So here is the solution without root

1) run adb (I assume you have a working adb, if not take a look here)
2) adb shell
3) pm block com.sonymobile.advancedwidget.entrance
4) reboot
5) Done! Enjoy your "What's New" free Sony Phone.

Learner
Message 12 of 103
Message 12 of 103

Thanks, just upgraded my Z1C and that was annoying the **bleep** out of me!

Bob

Commissioner
Message 13 of 103
Message 13 of 103

Great, will look into that tomorrow.

Is What's New the only item it blocks?

Regular
Message 14 of 103
Message 14 of 103

akk2's solution works a treat. Thanks.

Enthusiast
Message 15 of 103
Message 15 of 103

Ota updates don't update firmwares anyway, will apps still update if you root?

I'm seriously considering this.

If Sony won't fix my Xperia Z2 then I **bleep** well will!
One time poster
Message 16 of 103
Message 16 of 103

Quickest way to get rid of the whats new business without mucking up your warranty is to just delete the pane its on.  Simply hold your finger anywhere on the background until the you go to an "editing" mode where you will see the pane as if you zoomed out beyond the normal edges.  There will be an X and a House icon.  From here you can delete the pane containing whats new.  If there were shortcuts on that pane that wanted you can add a new pane then select the apps icon to add any shortcuts you lost to whichever pane you want them on.  If you didnt already realize it you could also just set a different pane as your home pane by selecting the House icon on whichever pane you wish to make the home so you dont see whats new if you dont want to get rid of it entirely.  Whats new will become an option in the apps tab should you wish to bring it back up.  Anyway this is the easiest way to get rid of it.  Hope it helps.

Message 17 of 103
Message 17 of 103

This is not the solution for the problem. I think you understood something wrong.

The problem is not a widget on a homescreen.

The problem is the "Whats new" function on the home button.

Learner
Message 18 of 103
Message 18 of 103

"What's New" app on Home button

I installed the 4.4.4 update a couple of days ago. The most obvious change is the addition of the "What's New" app to the up swipe gesture from the Home button that previously accessed Google Now.

Please tell me there is some way for me to remove this as it is already really, really annoying me! I don't tend to use my phone much for movies or music so have zero interest in what might be newly available for me to waste money on, on the Sony network. I do however use my phone as a personal organiser, planner and as a portal to relevant news, so used the Google Now up swipe A LOT.

Can anyone tell me how I might be able to remove this new feature, please?

Apprentice
Message 19 of 103
Message 19 of 103

Can someone explain how to do this for someone non-technical? I love my Xperian Z1C but this latest update is annoying the heck out of me.

Master
Message 20 of 103
Message 20 of 103

Re: "What's New" app on Home button

Hi and welcome to the community! Since you're new please be sure that you have checked out our Discussion guidelines.

As far as I know it's unfortunately not possible to remove this function or deactivate the Whats New-app.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.