account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Get rid of "What's New"

SOLVED
Message 41 of 173
Message 41 of 173

Re: Get rid of "What's New"

You can block it like this:

1.Install ADB

2.Run ADB shell from Windows cmd

3.Write pm block com.sonymobile.advancedwidget.entrance (to reset it just replace block with unblock)

4.That's it (in some cases you might need to restart)

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

One time poster
Message 42 of 173
Message 42 of 173

I don't need (want) this app on my Z2 phone.. (this app and others more)... SONY, please give us a way to remove it all apps that we don't need. thanks!!

One time poster
Message 43 of 173
Message 43 of 173

Just hold your finger on the what's new and drag it down to the bin at the bottom of the screen
Message 44 of 173
Message 44 of 173

People are not talking about that,press longer on home and you get what's new beside google now.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

One time poster
Message 45 of 173
Message 45 of 173

Thank you so much for assisting me to get rid of all of the commercial rubbish associated with Whats New. I really did believe that I was doomed to a Home Screen of Whats New for the life of the phone. Sony must acknowledge that if you want to compete effectively out there then the iPhones are the ones to match. I came to Xperia from an iPhone  and was appalled to be confronted with a commercially polluted Home Screen. The "pane " strategy is the way to get rid of the Whats New pane and what a pain it is !!!! 

Thanks again.

John

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 46 of 173
Message 46 of 173

Root access is not required! Only basic DOS knowledge is required (windows+R cmd).

I understood how to access the "Android Debug Bridge" after reading the following link.

http://www.theandroidsoul.com/sony-xperia-z-ultra-fastboot-mode/

Just read the middle - "2) Boot into Xperia Z Ultra Fastboot Mode Using ADB".

There is no need to run the ‘Boot into Fastboot Mode.bat‘ script file. Just use 3 commands:-

adb version

(to confirm that ADB is installed)

adb devices

(if the list of devices is "blank", read the above link again until you see that the phone is connected.)

adb shell

(After this, you can run "pm block com.sonymobile.advancedwidget.entrance".)

Visitor
Message 47 of 173
Message 47 of 173

@akk2 you're a rock star! 😊
Apprentice
Message 48 of 173
Message 48 of 173

So, after having Sony phones for over 8 years, you've lost me as a customer. This piece of bloatware and adware is the final push. Cya!
One time poster
Message 49 of 173
Message 49 of 173

AKK2, you da man, you da man.. Thanks very much Slightly smiling Face Slightly smiling Face Slightly smiling Face

Apprentice
Message 50 of 173
Message 50 of 173

There is no simple solution to remove What's new from Google launcher??