account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get rid of "What's New"

SOLVED
Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 1 of 106
Message 1 of 106

Get rid of "What's New"

Please Sony give us a way to opt out of "What's New" . When I slide my finger up from home to launch Google Now  I have to be careful not to open "What's New". We have Google Play Store, we know what apps we want, we don't need this!  Don't force it on us!

PS: I know that you can get rid of that by rooting but that means (at this moment) unlocking the bootloader, which means losing the warranty. I'm not prepared to do that on a 600-650 euros device. Not to mention a lot of people who can't unlock the bootloader even if they want to.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 82 of 106
Message 82 of 106

Re: Get rid of "What's New"

Hi all,

I'm sorry to hear that this app causes frustration for you. As you have pointed out, it currently isn't possible to remove the What's New app. It is possible to disable notifications from it though.

To disable notifications in What's New

1. From your Home screen, tap the Application screen icon.
  2. Find and tap What's New.
  3. Drag the left edge of the screen to the right, then find and tap Settings.
  4. Drag the slider beside Show notifications to the left.

I will also forward your thoughts on this as user feedback.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

105 REPLIES
Master
Message 2 of 106
Message 2 of 106

As I understand, it's not possible to disable or remove "What's new" for the moment. And unfortunately, I have no information when or if this will be possible in the upcoming future.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Apprentice
Message 3 of 106
Message 3 of 106

I know that it's not possible without root. That's the point of my thread. To let Sony know that I/we can find the apps in Play Store and we don't want/need "What's New" forced on us.

Not to mention there is also "Sony Select", that does the same thing.

Many times "less is more" and Sony seems to understand that design wise and in a degree with Android skin also. Sony has to be bold enough to let Android be Andoid, less skin and no bloatware (or at least bloatware that we can uninstall).

Regular
Message 4 of 106
Message 4 of 106

I think that it' would be  a great solution if Sony can let users edit the "home button launcher", which we can get rid of "What's new" and  add a shortcut to quick launch apps .

Apprentice
Message 5 of 106
Message 5 of 106

I didn't think of that. This would be great!
Commissioner
Message 6 of 106
Message 6 of 106

What's New app on Home Button

So, is root the only way to disable the What's New app from the home button?

I hate that it is there, I never use it and would prefer to be able to swipe up for Google Now only.

Message 7 of 106
Message 7 of 106

Re: What's New app on Home Button

You can try disabling the app in Settings > Manage Applications

Commissioner
Message 8 of 106
Message 8 of 106

You cannot disable the app this way.

A launcher (I use Nova) also does not seem to be a solution.

I can't be bothered rooting and romming these days so that's out as a solution too,

This for me is the worst bit of bloat Sony added. At least I can ignore or hide apps in the draw.

One time poster
Message 9 of 106
Message 9 of 106

I don't like unuseful trash and forced ads in my phone. If you not going to remove it then I forget your company.

Message 10 of 106
Message 10 of 106

Then Root is the only way.

You can use towel root to root. You won't get OTA updates though so you can only update through PC Companion