account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Get rid of "What's New"

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 161 of 173
Message 161 of 173

Re: Get rid of "What's New"

Solution marked as solution DOES NOT WORK!

It does not remove notification that show again on the phone.

Sony if you cannot remove this app just tell why.

This is the most annoying thing I have seen on any Android phone ever.

Pioneer
Message 162 of 173
Message 162 of 173

I do not have WhatsNew present on my phone (uninstalled using adb) but I'll try to help you using WhatsApp and Camera Roll as an example.

Goto the apps page-> long press on the WhatsApp icon (hey did you notice you can place a WhatsApp widget on the home screen?) -> tap on the i sign-> you will find a menu with notifications on top and an abundancy of settings.

When doing so with another app like Camera Roll you will find File Operations under Advanced.

Tapping on File Operations will show a new menu where one of the choices is:

On the lock screen, Show all content.

What I'm trying to say is that it is worth the time to check out what settings are present in different apps.

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't
Highlighted
Pioneer
Message 163 of 173
Message 163 of 173

Re: Whats New App - Disable or remove - HOW CAN I DO THIS?

@Lorne_

About using adb to 'uninstall' WhatsNew:

Android studio is way too hughe for this purpose.

Try Minimal ADB and Fastboot, released by Google.

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't
Pioneer
Message 164 of 173
Message 164 of 173

Re: Whats New App - Disable or remove - HOW CAN I DO THIS?

Update

I installed whatsnew to check.

Long tap on the whatsnew icon

Tap on i

Tap on notifications

Screenshot_20181114-124843.png

Does that help to suppress WhatsNew?

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't
Visitor
Message 165 of 173
Message 165 of 173

Although I disabled all notifications I get some, from time to time. Just got a Telecom add "magenta"  If they pay enough I'll be annoyed by Sony against my explicit wish to get no notifications. Next phone has to be chosen more thoroughly  

Apprentice
Message 166 of 173
Message 166 of 173

That bloatware super annoying, I'm finding a way to root and remove those unnecessary apps. Despite my device under warranty till agu 2019

Apprentice
Message 167 of 173
Message 167 of 173

Hahaha ppls are cursing sony non stop!  if sony ignore our voice we all must unite to boycott sony products in future. Btw, new model still looks ugly with thick bezel while vivo, Huawei far advanced design. Sony rear camera located in the center truly ugly looks 

One time poster
Message 168 of 173
Message 168 of 173

Why  Sony will add this kind of crap to their phones? Are they trying to make the users to buy some other phones? Can't uninstall, can't disable... this is very bad. I don't think they will take care of their customers at all.

One time poster
Message 169 of 173
Message 169 of 173

This is BS. I have disabled it, eve disabled "Run in the background", but it STILLS SHOWS THOSE F-NG NOTIFICATIONS EVRY SINGLE DAY! Force stop doesnøt really help, beause the next day THEY ARE THERE AGAIN!

It's disgusting how you force your crap-ware on users, without letting them disable or remove it. You claim it is possible to disable the notifications, but this is a lie. 

Never, NEVER EVER AGAIN will I ever buy a Sony product. And this comes from someone who ALWAYS Have been using Sony-mobiles. 

I frigging hate What's New. I don't want it, I don't need it, but you are happy to force it on your users. Last Sony product I have spent my money on, I can guarantee you that. 

F U

Message 170 of 173
Message 170 of 173

PLEASE REMOVE THIS BLOATWARE