account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Get rid of "What's New"

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 141 of 173
Message 141 of 173

Re: Get rid of "What's New"

I love my Sony telephone. But for me this programme is a reason to look for another phone .

Pioneer
Message 142 of 173
Message 142 of 173

Re: Whats New App - Disable or remove - HOW CAN I DO THIS?

You can 'uninstall'  WhatsNew with adb

adb uninstall --user 0 com.sonymobile.entrance

After a reboot it's gone and in updates you will find that it is begging you to be installed again.

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't
Learner
Message 143 of 173
Message 143 of 173

This reply from Sony was in 2016.... Still can't get rid of this useless waste of storage space.... :-(

Learner
Message 144 of 173
Message 144 of 173

I'm not so worried about the space, I worry about any program that is uploading God knows what to Sony that I cannot definitively remove. The fact that it offers "suggestions"means that it is profiling me in some way. 

Learner
Message 145 of 173
Message 145 of 173

I can't even disable the notifications on my phone... Extremely annoying! I had a Samsung before, system update notifications popped up, without all the other non-essential spam that What's new offers...

One time poster
Message 146 of 173
Message 146 of 173

I see after 2 years that Sony have now locked out notifications. They can be switched off sure, which I have done on a brand new phone, but the notifications keep coming anyway... And I am completely confident this is done by design. That's right, Sony now literally force this pile of detritus down your throat on a daily basis. Stop trying to be apple or Google for the love of god, it's pathetic. You could be different from all the others by not loading a load of bloatware on to your phones and then gouging us for advertising data, but nope why have a smooth running android phone when you can pepper it with constant annoying and unstoppable notifications that hog memory. And then kill 6gbs of data in 3 weeks by sending all my data to god knows where. Last Sony phone, shame cos I like the hardware but if you're gonna exploit customers that are ready paying a premium, then you guys can seriously jog on. 

Message 147 of 173
Message 147 of 173

I have notifications turned off, but today I still got adverts from What's App for a book. This thread (along with the others on removing this app) shouldn't be marked as "solved" until a solution is found. Can we have this thread unmarked as 'answered'?

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 148 of 173
Message 148 of 173

@Strampkewrote:

After a reboot it's gone and in updates you will find that it is begging you to be installed again.

^^^has anyone here tried this guys method? it seems to work

Rookie
Message 149 of 173
Message 149 of 173

@KnightVisionwrote:

@Strampkewrote:

^^^has anyone here tried this guys method? it seems to work

yes this worked for me on PC, but I still think I will skip Sony in future.  For non ninjas; 

a) download and install Android Studio

b) google "set android phone to developer mode" and do that

c) click start, type CMD and press enter

d) cut&paste the following commands to the CMD window and press enter after each

e) cd C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Android\sdk\platform-tools

f) adb  uninstall --user 0 com.sonymobile.entrance

Visitor
Message 150 of 173
Message 150 of 173

This dose not work i still get those annoying notification.