account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Get rid of "What's New"

SOLVED
Highlighted
Adviser
Message 101 of 173
Message 101 of 173

Re: Get rid of "What's New"

Hit the nail on the head. A truely beautiful piece of hardware ruined by a poor marketing decision which probably did not increase any profits. It's enthusiasts like us who recommend and impress on those who haven't tried Sony to buy their next phone. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!!

One time poster
Message 102 of 173
Message 102 of 173

Another vote, 

Sony should stop pissing the users off IMMEDIATELY.

Visitor
Message 103 of 173
Message 103 of 173

Re: Disable or uninstall What's New?

I totally agree. What's New is annoying in the extreme. Will try the solution mentioned in post #90 in this thread, and will Hope someone makes a SonyBloatwareRemover app.

Very bad manners, Sony. You marked this as "solved" back in 2014, but has since then removed your own "cure" by ramping up intrusiveness of the app. Not gonna earn you better reviews...

Visitor
Message 104 of 173
Message 104 of 173

Re: Disable or uninstall What's New?

Not a solution for everybody but the sideloaded Adguard premium includes a firewall that allows you to block all wifi or cellular traffic for specific apps. You can prevent What's New from receiving any data.

We should publicise the fact that Xperia's are ad supported so that potential purchasers are warned in advance. I will not be buying another one.

One time poster
Message 105 of 173
Message 105 of 173

Having read all the advice and comments I am leaning towards "This is rubbish bloatware" and I dont intend buying a sony phone again if this is how it forces marketing on us.
I can understand freebies comminf with marketing entranched but I pay for this phone!

Get rid of it or customers should buy elsewhere.

One time poster
Message 106 of 173
Message 106 of 173

I just created an account here to agree to all of you on how annoying this app is. I dont want to get forced notifications that I cannot silence at all on what app is new. It's hard not to swear on this one.

This is enough reason for me to not get a Sony again.

They are really killing it with bloatware plus they know how it annoys the users without changing it over all this time.

One time poster
Message 107 of 173
Message 107 of 173

Im ready to throw my Sony on the trash can because of Whats new. Its really anoying. Recently I cant disable notifications. Ridiculous. Really hate this app.

One time poster
Message 108 of 173
Message 108 of 173

Please, no one gives a spent shilling, what sony thinks, we should like, we have ps4.

I want rid of it, it is not a service, but a pest. 

Visitor
Message 109 of 173
Message 109 of 173

That's right. I had paid my money for a smartphone and I don't want sony to make me use their apps. I hate sony for it.
If they gave away us smartphones for free, it would be fair to dictate your terms and make us use your apps, but I pay my money and not to want to see these apps.

Visitor
Message 110 of 173
Message 110 of 173

Fair enough...
I do hate the fact that this app is always updated. I never made use of it and not going to....
Yeah, I can disable this app, but updates are always coming...