account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Get rid of "What's New"

SOLVED
Highlighted
Rookie
Message 91 of 173
Message 91 of 173

Re: Get rid of "What's New"

This app makes my phone worth half of what I payed for it.

Please remove this annoying, useless  app asap.

Rookie
Message 92 of 173
Message 92 of 173

Re: Disable or uninstall What's New?

Serious!

Is this the solution!?

I don’t know how to do this.

I payed for this phone!

One time poster
Message 93 of 173
Message 93 of 173

I'm all for it. Let's get a class action.

Rookie
Message 94 of 173
Message 94 of 173

We paid for our smartphones!!!

Give us at least the option to get rid of this nuisance.

On top, there is even no real option to switch of those annoying notifications.

It makes me so angry that I’m continuously spammed by these scrupulous people who don’t hesitate to intruding my personal space without being asked for.  

Apprentice
Message 95 of 173
Message 95 of 173

What (maybe, don't know for certain yet) stops the notifications is this:

disable wifi

disable your data connection

Now open the What's new app. Because there is no internet connection it will not ask for permissions or approval. Don't know if this is intended or bad programming by Sony.

Open the settings and disable the notifications

Quickly close the app again

Enable your data again

Just found this out this afternoon, so don't know yet if this stops the notifications. Removal of the app is impossible without rooting, but hopefully silencing the app is.

Adviser
Message 96 of 173
Message 96 of 173

I'll vote for this!!!

Visitor
Message 97 of 173
Message 97 of 173

This is NOT a solution, it does NOT work. This thread is NOT solved. How many years has it been now? Sony is a joke.

One time poster
Message 98 of 173
Message 98 of 173

True, the application is a pain in the bu**.

I purchased a Xperia XZ Premium (my last Sony before was a T610). So far so good and I also heard a lot of positive things about Sony to stay as close as possible to stock Android. The pre-installed and un-installable bloat are is really ruining the name of Sony. What a pity.

Ano opt-out option would be great and will make sure lot of current negative press will disappear.

One time poster
Message 99 of 173
Message 99 of 173

Kill it please.

Learner
Message 100 of 173
Message 100 of 173

I use NoRoot Firewall to prevent the app's internet access.  Trouble is I have to also block the software updater as What's New sneaks through alongside it. I even hopefully secured my connection against unauthorised NRF app meddling by blocking NRF itself. What could possibly go wrong??😒 Tell you what though, if I'd known about the bloatware levels, I wouldn't have bought a Sony at all.