account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Get rid of "What's New"

SOLVED
Visitor
Message 81 of 173
Message 81 of 173

Re: Get rid of "What's New"

The marketing software is not only stupid, none of Sonys "recommended" themes they show me are available where I live (Norway)
Sony Xperia Support
Message 82 of 173
Message 82 of 173

Hi all,

I'm sorry to hear that this app causes frustration for you. As you have pointed out, it currently isn't possible to remove the What's New app. It is possible to disable notifications from it though.

To disable notifications in What's New

1. From your Home screen, tap the Application screen icon.
  2. Find and tap What's New.
  3. Drag the left edge of the screen to the right, then find and tap Settings.
  4. Drag the slider beside Show notifications to the left.

I will also forward your thoughts on this as user feedback.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 83 of 173
Message 83 of 173

You won't be able to update via PCC.
//----------------- C:\》$ Path- Thyme: .trawler //-----------------Auto-Correct Disclaimer: Not sorry. //----------------- Batteries not included.
Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 84 of 173
Message 84 of 173

One of the apps to sd apps can freeze without root
//----------------- C:\》$ Path- Thyme: .trawler //-----------------Auto-Correct Disclaimer: Not sorry. //----------------- Batteries not included.
One time poster
Message 85 of 173
Message 85 of 173

What's New current version 3.7.A.0.8 can't be disabled and neither can the notifications for this waist of space wifi/data hogging spyware. I do not appreciate this fact as both my visually impaired charge and I are sick to death of being startled at all hours of the day and night by crap notifications advertising garbage we have NO interest in. Last notification nearly caused the breaking of two iPads as they were nearly dropped by my charge and myself when it startled us even though we have No Peeking set. This needs to be fixed as the phone is for incoming and outgoing  emergency contact which means we cannot turn notifications sound off, and being woke up in the middle of the night by a effin ad for something as old as Pirates of the Caribbean is just not on.

AN UPDATE TO AT LEAST RETURN THE TURN OFF NOTIFICATIONS if not DISABLE THIS MOST ANNOYING AND USELESS APP NEEDS TO BE DONE AND ISSUED ASAP.

OR MAYBE a Class Action should be started so everyone who is negatively affected by this app can get compensated for the emotional distress and/or  replacement of their devices to rectify the matter of not being able to turn what's new off. Everyone meaning absolutely everyone that has to put up with it whether or not they are the owner of the offending phones

One time poster
Message 86 of 173
Message 86 of 173

How to remove the 'Whats New' application completely

Hi,
My question is simple, how do I remove this 'Whats New' application from my phone? Other default applications I can disable, but for this one the button is grayed out - and it will 'revive' itself if I force stop it.
I dont have root rights on my device
Inhabitant
Message 87 of 173
Message 87 of 173

Disable or uninstall What's New?

What's New keeps showing ads as notifications.  I want to get rid of it.

Previously I could use "pm block" or "pm hide", but now it gives an error message:

Error: java.lang.SecurityException: Neither user 2000 nor current process has android.permission.MANAGE_USERS.
One time poster
Message 88 of 173
Message 88 of 173

Whats New has messed up my M5 again, despite me trying to disable it. It is completely unacceptable got Sony to force these apps on users who spend good money buying Sony products. It's clear Sony take no notice of the numerous posts complaining about Whats New, so my solution is simple - Sony is now on my "banned list" - I won't buy any Sony products (TV's, monitors, phones, games) and where possible I avoid Sony media product. I also tell everyone I can about how annoying Sony are and in my professional life as an IT Consultant and Interim IT Director I share that with my clients and advise them not to buy Sony products. I choose android so I have choices over apps and functions. If Sony don't accept that then they are missing the whole point.

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 89 of 173
Message 89 of 173

Sorry: your procedure does not stop Whats new from poosting.

I have had a Sony Xperia X compact for half a year and so far whats new have not given me any value. Worst of all: I have deactivated - forced to stop many times - but it keeps giving me useless spam notifications.Next phone will not bee a Sony.

Inhabitant
Message 90 of 173
Message 90 of 173

Re: Disable or uninstall What's New?

Found a solution on this Reddit thread.

Install Android SDK Platform Tools, set up USB debugging, then run

adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.sonymobile.entrance