account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepted Solutions makes a difference!

Did you know that by clicking the Accept as Solution button You will help other people visiting the community to find their answer? Learn more.

Psst - What do you think about our community? Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Live with Walkman

SOLVED
Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 1 of 12
Message 1 of 12

Live with Walkman

Hello!

I wanted to buy a Live with Walkman WT19 (http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/phones/live-with-walkman/specifications/#black) phone, but I found out that ever since Sony Ericsson became Sony, they're planning to cease the walkman series phones (but will continue support for them). In this case, it won't be a good idea to buy a phone from this series, but instead, I should buy from from Xperia series.

But soon I came across this official thread http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/35144 , where the phone I want is very first in the list, named as "Xperia Live With Walkman". There is no where written "Xperia" on this phone's body, like it is on other Xperia phones. But this has the stylized "W" logo and "Walkman" written on it, like old Walkman series phones. So I am confused whether this Live With Walkman phone is in the Walkman series, or Xperia series? Please help me.

Also, I wanted to know whether this phone has gravity sensors for motion gaming or not? And does it has compass?

One more thing. Some people said in this phone's review that the front camera supports video calling only through skype or gtalk, and not over network. It does sounds very stupid, as it'd probably support video calling on all data channels, but I still want to confirm. Will it support video calling over 3G/UMTS network or not?

Thank you for all the answers! Slightly smiling Face

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
One time poster
Message 7 of 12
Message 7 of 12

Re: Live with Walkman

Yes the WT19 is one of the Xperia 2011 range, its just marketed as 'live with walkman'. I think this model and the Xylo (not an Android model) are the last to be identified as Walkman, however most of the other Xperia continue to have some of the attributes of Walkman.

I have one, if you read the reviews on GSM Arena, it tells the story where for Walkman sound, size does matter, having 2 speakers helps too. Some have criticised the lack of equaliser and 'clear bass' on this and all Xperia phones, I find the Xloud works very well and there is better choice of earphones if thats a problem. I have not experienced any 'electrical noise' problem, as some have reported, without any repair from Sony, I dont know about that issue - If you are buying, important to do the test before taking away, insist on another new replacent if necessary!

I really appreciate the dedicated W button, dedicated camera buttons, good screen and headset socket. The codename for this model is Coconut, and if you drop it the shell will snap open, it happened to me 3 times and the back cover just clipped back on without damage, even onto concrete!

To answer your other questions, WT19 has both magnetic sensors and gravity (acelleration) sensors, in 3 axis, so works in all Android applications. Does not have a pressure sensor - the 'Active' does have one. It has the same GPS + Glonass navigation receiver and a good FM radio tuner as the other Xperia line.

Because the WT19 was built with a mangetic sensor in a different orientation to the other Xperia, some apps have a compass problem. This issue has been widely reported here, and easy fixed if you use Flashtool. It has NOT been fixed in ICS, so don't go there, any Gingerbread version before .62 is fixable.

In my country, Sony have deleted listing of all but 4 Xperia phones, LWW is gone. If you want a Walkman, the only choice,once stock has run out, is to buy the non-phone Walkman range.

good luck.

11 REPLIES 11
Emperor
Message 2 of 12
Message 2 of 12

wait until June 22nd when sony will announce more Xperias

Don't forget to mark the Correct Answers & Helpful Answers

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Emperor
Message 3 of 12
Message 3 of 12

Neither Android nor iOS nor Windowsmobile 7/7.5 or 8 support this videocall on 3g, you need a data plan and use skype or tango etc

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 4 of 12
Message 4 of 12

Till 22nd June, for what? The new phones won't be available here, so I'm really about to buy this one. Just need detailed info about it.

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 5 of 12
Message 5 of 12

Are you really sure? I've Symbian OS right now, (S60v2, which is really old and outdated) on which I can make video calls over 3G network. Howcome these new OSs don't support it. Something seems wrong.

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 6 of 12
Message 6 of 12

Alright apparently Android & iOS don't support 3G data channel for now (Windows Mobile does, btw). But that's not phone manufacturer's fault. Hopefully Sony will provide an update when Android will release a version that will support it ^^

Thanks a lot for making me aware of this important fact Slightly smiling Face

Please help me find my other answers. Which series phone belongs to, motion sensors, and compass one.

Thank you!

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 7 of 12
Message 7 of 12

Yes the WT19 is one of the Xperia 2011 range, its just marketed as 'live with walkman'. I think this model and the Xylo (not an Android model) are the last to be identified as Walkman, however most of the other Xperia continue to have some of the attributes of Walkman.

I have one, if you read the reviews on GSM Arena, it tells the story where for Walkman sound, size does matter, having 2 speakers helps too. Some have criticised the lack of equaliser and 'clear bass' on this and all Xperia phones, I find the Xloud works very well and there is better choice of earphones if thats a problem. I have not experienced any 'electrical noise' problem, as some have reported, without any repair from Sony, I dont know about that issue - If you are buying, important to do the test before taking away, insist on another new replacent if necessary!

I really appreciate the dedicated W button, dedicated camera buttons, good screen and headset socket. The codename for this model is Coconut, and if you drop it the shell will snap open, it happened to me 3 times and the back cover just clipped back on without damage, even onto concrete!

To answer your other questions, WT19 has both magnetic sensors and gravity (acelleration) sensors, in 3 axis, so works in all Android applications. Does not have a pressure sensor - the 'Active' does have one. It has the same GPS + Glonass navigation receiver and a good FM radio tuner as the other Xperia line.

Because the WT19 was built with a mangetic sensor in a different orientation to the other Xperia, some apps have a compass problem. This issue has been widely reported here, and easy fixed if you use Flashtool. It has NOT been fixed in ICS, so don't go there, any Gingerbread version before .62 is fixable.

In my country, Sony have deleted listing of all but 4 Xperia phones, LWW is gone. If you want a Walkman, the only choice,once stock has run out, is to buy the non-phone Walkman range.

good luck.

Emperor
Message 8 of 12
Message 8 of 12

windowsmobile does if you have 6 or 6.5

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 9 of 12
Message 9 of 12

Thanks for your detailed answer!

I've heard sound of Xperia Mini, it is not up to the level. And I've high expectations from this phone, as this is a walkman phone. I came to Sony just for the sound. Earlier I was looking for samsung android phones, but they don't have that good sound for the phones in my budget (Galaxy Ace, Ace Plus). Also, Samsung phones don't have a front camera (well I didn't knew that time android doesn't supports 3G video calling). So I came to Sony, for front camera, and for music.

Unfortunately, I can't test the phone before buying it. They come in box. And I get to open it after it's mine, i.e. paying money. If I have some issues then, I'll have to goto Sony service center. And they don't replace phones here. Just repair it. Even if I bought it just now.

It's not a big problem if Sony doesn't provides a built-in equilizer. There are many apps for it. I'm anyway going to install 3rd party music players, and they all have equilizers, so that's not really a big deal.

About the pressure sensor, do other android phones have it? I've never seen pressure sensor on an android phone before. Xperia Active is out of my budget.

So Sony took down LWW phone from your place. What does it mean? It's not worth it? I think I should buy some non-walkman Xperia branded phone, as Sony is continuing this series.

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 10 of 12
Message 10 of 12

Well I'm not buying this phone anymore. I've seen it today, is very small. Was going to Xperia Neo V, but it has physical keys Slightly frowning Face

I'll either buy Xperia U, but first I'll wait for Xperia Go :smileygrin: