account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Xperia E4g Video - How to Disable Gracenote

Highlighted
Learner
Message 1 of 7
Message 1 of 7

Xperia E4g Video - How to Disable Gracenote

On my Xperia E4g smartphone, I wish to disable Gracenote.  In the Settings menu of the Video application, I have set the Gracenote option to OFF.

However, when I play Videos, I still get the message "Video Information not found - you can look up information manually - Click Here".  This is very annoying, as I cannot get rid of this message. 

For some tracks, the information is simply not available in Gracenote anyway, so the only way of overcoming this issue is to go ahead and Click, then click the Agree button (to incur data charges), and then retrieve the WRONG information from Gracenote.

It looks as though the Xperia Video application is permanently assuming that the Settings Option is always Gracenote is ON, even though I have set it to OFF.  Looks like a bug of some sort, so maybe I need an Update (but my phone is fully Up to Date).

I have doublechecked that it is OFF, exited from Video, re-started my phone, opened the Video app, checked that Settings still has Gracenote as OFF, then played a video, and STILL I get the message "Video Information not found - you can look up information manually - Click Here".

I have also checked the Settings of all the other media Applications on my phone (Walkman, Album, Photos) to ensure that none of them uses Gracenote.

How can I disable Gracenote please.

Possibly the Video programming logic only allows binary outcomes:

-- if Gracenote is ON then it does an auto lookup (which often doesn't work successfully, as many other posts in this forum

have found); 

-- if Gracenote is OFF then you get the message as above to Look Up Gracenote manually (this message only offers you a

single choice to Click Here -- there is no other option to Skip/Continue/Ignore). 

Either way, you are stuck in a closed loop of having to use Gracenote. 

I would like a third option -- do nothing, forget Gracenote, just play the videos please  :-)

Many thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 7
Message 2 of 7

Re: Xperia E4g Video - How to Disable Gracenote

There is a way but it requires a program called Debloater then you would once connected look on the list and find the app in question and freeze or disable it - It won't delete just render it useless and invisible

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Learner
Message 3 of 7
Message 3 of 7

Thanks Richard -- initially I thought the problem was Gracenote (which it partly is because results are mixed as many people have observed), but now I think that maybe if the Video application was developed by Sony, then the issue could be with the logic within the Video application.

It wants to show you "video information", which can be retrieved either automatically from Gracenote (if the Setting is YES), or manually from Gracenote (if the Setting is NO) -- no other scenario is envisaged. 

I can do without the "video information" (particularly if it is wrong) -- I would be happy if it would just play the video...!!

Other than that, I am very happy with the phone ... 

Forum Legend
Message 4 of 7
Message 4 of 7

@Steve-E4g who's Richard

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Learner
Message 5 of 7
Message 5 of 7

Yes, sorry Thommo, I mistook you for Dr. Feynman. 

By the way, he was right to be concerned about public relations' taking precedence over physics, although I have to say that it looks as though PR / spin / advertising are well ahead just now !!  And I am of two minds about quantum physics -- am both a fan and not a fan at the same time.

Meanwhile, on the issue of the persistent Gracenote dialogue box which I get in the Xperia Video application, even when I have set Gracenote to OFF in the Settings, further investigation shows that:

- all my videos run fine (no annoying messages) in the other applications on the phone - Album, and Photos

- therefore the issue is definitely with the Video application

- in the Video app, the annoying message "No video information found.  You can try a manual lookup.  Click Here", appears when playing all videos, including the standard Xperia HD Landscapes video which is the default delivered with the phone

-  please see the attached Screenshot below

- therefore the issue is not with my videos

- a simple solution would be if this dialogue box had an option "Do not show this message again"

- I can hide the message if I click Full Screen every time I play a video, so I will go with that for now, of better still, just use Album or Photos instead, and not bother with the Video application

-  I am not sure what exactly is the "video information" which it is looking for, since I already have the title, artist and genre -- just some random comments from Gracenote I guess.

PS:  still very happy with the phone, although I do miss my old Nokia ...

All the best,

Steve

Sony Xperia E4g Video App Screenshot_2015-08-17.png

Learner
Message 6 of 7
Message 6 of 7

Here is a screenshot of my Video > Settings.

Get Video Details (download video information using Gracenote video explore) is UNTICKED as below:

Best Regards,

Steve

Sony Xperia E4g Video Settings Screenshot_2015-08-17.png

Forum Legend
Message 7 of 7
Message 7 of 7

By unticking it will not remove or stop the Gracenote option but merely stop auto download of information