account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Cannot play AVI file using Video app

SOLVED
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 15
Message 1 of 15

Cannot play AVI file using Video app

Hi support team,

I cannot play AVI file by using Video app(version 9.2.A.0.6) error  message: "cannot play video".

Whereas,AVI file can play with VLC app(third party app).

I bought Xperia Z1 because I thought it can play vido AVI file (refer :http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-z1/specifications/ ),please kindly do not ask me to use other third-party app.

Info:model: c6902,lollipop:5.0.2,Build number :14.5.A.0.270

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Forum Legend
Message 12 of 15
Message 12 of 15

Re: Cannot play AVI file using Video app

As I mentioned before, AVI is a container format when it comes to videos. The information that you can find in the white paper is also the decoder format which is MPEG-4. I've just tried an AVI file with MPEG-4 codec here and it works fine. But if you try to play an AVI file with another codec such as: JPEG, RGB or Cinepak, these will most likely not work since they are not supported codecs.

You can always download a program at your computer which can check the container information of your AVI file. An example of this program is MediaInfo.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

14 REPLIES 14
Emperor
Message 2 of 15
Message 2 of 15

@RumRai7

Could you try different AVI files? 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 15
Message 3 of 15

I already did.
Message 4 of 15
Message 4 of 15

Inbuilt video player should be able to play mp4,not other formats. But I think it depends on the encoding too.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 15
Message 5 of 15

Appreciate your team, if you forward this issue to Sony company too. I decided to buy Xperia Z1 instead of IPhone because I believe its specifications are very good more than other company as I checked on website before I buy it http://www.sonymobile.com/global-
en/products/phones/xperia-z1/specifications/
Thank you in advance.
Message 6 of 15
Message 6 of 15

Maybe @Hampus can take a look.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Message 7 of 15
Message 7 of 15

According to Sony Xperia Z1 white paper, it should play AVI:

http://www-support-downloads.sonymobile.com/c6902/whitepaper_EN_c6902_c6903_c6906_c6943_l39h_xperia_...

I suggest re-installing Video:

- Go to Settings -> Apps -> All -> Video -> Force stop, Unistall updates, Clear data, and restart phone.
- Go to your Play Store and update Video again.

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 15
Message 8 of 15

@Quester I will try your advice and update to you asap. Thank
Forum Legend
Message 9 of 15
Message 9 of 15

Hi,

That is correct that the phone supports AVI but you should note that AVI is a container format. And since AVI is a container format, it can contain different combinations of codecs and settings. In other words, an AVI file may be compressed with different codecs for video, audio and perhaps subtitles. If the preinstalled Video application does not support one or several codecs which is inside this AVI file, it can't be played.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 15
Message 10 of 15

@Quester, it's still the same.