account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

keyboard acting up after software repair

SOLVED
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 14
Message 1 of 14

keyboard acting up after software repair

Did a software repair due to constant pop ups and randomly opening to playstore to various apps that i have no interest in,  since then the keyboard will work fine one minute then decide it wants to write only in caps,  the delete button goes on strike and then everything else follows suit, only way around it is to open up keyboard settings,  deselect and reselect all options and start again,  this is only a temporary fix however. 

Please don't ask me to do another software repair because this is caused the issue and it takes forever,  but I will gladly take any other help given. 

Edit, no idea why the title now says chrome browser,  the issue effects everything that needs a keyboard.. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 12 of 14
Message 12 of 14

Re: chrome browser and keyboard issues

I understand it's frustrating. Slightly frowning Face

I'm really sorry that I didn't mention that you should have turned off automatic updates for the Chrome application after you uninstalled updates for the app. If it's related to the app version and automatic updates are turned on in Google Play store the app will be updated to the latest version.

Start with uninstalling updates for the Chrome application. Go to Settings > Apps > Chrome > 3 dots > Uninstall updates.

Open up the Google Play store and search for "Chrome". The top alternative should be "Chrome Browser - Google", tap on it and you should be directed to the Chrome page in the Google Play store. Press the 3 dots in the top right corner > uncheck the box next to "Auto-update". Is it working now?

If not I would recommend that you try and download another browser in your phone. There is also a Chrome beta application that you can download from the Google Play store.

Keep me updated! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Message 2 of 14
Message 2 of 14

@Darbo25 Is this what you experience?

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z5-Z5-Compact-Z5-Premium/Predictive-text-no-longer-works/m-p/1...

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 14
Message 3 of 14

Thanks but no,  it doesn't just do it in chrome browser it does it regardless,  I've no idea how the subject was changed to what it says now but it's an issue with every site, I've had this tablet over a year and is been great,  this only started after i did a software repair. 

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 14
Message 4 of 14

Hi @Darbo25, I'm sorry to hear about your tablet. Slightly frowning Face

I would recommend that you clear data for the Xperia keyboard, this will reset the settings you have previously made for the Xperia keyboard. To do that go to Settings > Apps > Xperia keyboard > Storage > Clear data. Is there any difference when you use the keyboard after the data has been cleared?

If you restored a backup or installed applications directly after the software repair can you please try and reboot your tablet in safe mode and see how the keyboard behaves here?

Let me know how it goes!

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 14
Message 5 of 14

Thanks for the reply,  I've tried both suggestions and the same thing happens regardless,  it's a weird one. 

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 14
Message 6 of 14

I'm sorry to hear that. Slightly frowning Face

Is there any update to the Xperia keyboard available in the Google Play store? If there are none could you please try with another keyboard application, for example Google keyboard which you can download from the Google Play store to see if you experiencing the same behaviour.

Please keep me updated and I will do my best to assist you! Slightly smiling Face

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 7 of 14
Message 7 of 14

Thank-you, just downloaded Google keyboard, I'll see how I go with this for now.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 8 of 14
Message 8 of 14

Well that didn't last long, same problem with this keyboard too... Must be the chrome browser!

Thanks so much for your help, appreciated.

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 9 of 14
Message 9 of 14

Thanks for getting back to me!

If it only happens in Chrome I would recommend that you uninstall updates for the Chrome application, or check if there is any update available in Google Play store.

To uninstall updates for the application go to Settings > Apps > Chrome > 3 dots > Uninstall updates. Remember to not update the application after you have uninstalled the updates in case the latest update for the Chrome application is the cause.

Let me know how it went! Slightly smiling Face

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 10 of 14
Message 10 of 14

That seems to have done the trick,  thanks for your time Jonas.