account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Why was the Photo Editor app ruined?

Enthusiast
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Why was the Photo Editor app ruined?

I just discovered on my Z3 that the Photo Editor app has been completely changed. Before, it was possible to make adjustments. Now, it's a baby's toy with idiotic effects only and no adjustment options, much like the useless Sketch app, and the subpar Camera app with its lack of control and 500 MB bloatware filters.<br><br>What the h#ll is Sony thinking?
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Emperor
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

Re: Why was the Photo Editor app ruined?

Great news you have a smartphone which means you have thousands of apps to choose from, you don't have to settle on preloaded apps like feature phones, try pixlr

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

I will. In the meantime I found from another post that it was possible to install the old app on top (with the risks it entails, of course).

But it irks me that the pre-installed apps are dumbed down this much, especially since they eat up space and cannot be uninstalled.
Highlighted
Emperor
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

Settings, apps, all, select the app, uninstall updates

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

That was the first thing I tried, but it can't be done since the new Photo Editor replaced the old with the recent firmware update for the Xperia Z3. The new Photo Editor is now the default.

What's terrible is that the old and new versions have nothing in common at all. The old version was primarily for making adjustments, with pretty good tools. The new one is for adding fluff, with no adjustment tools at all.

They should have been completely separate tools. I don't know what they're up to, but it's absurd.
Highlighted
Emperor
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

I agree, although I haven't relied on that app to edit my pictures

Highlighted
Learner
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

The photo editor after lollipop as names like Carla in the filters. Sony said that is normal but is very annoying. Can we have this software like in the past?
Highlighted
Emperor
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

@Strato

I don't understand, could you elaborate?