account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stagefright vulnerability found in most (all) Android phones

SOLVED
Learner
Message 41 of 118
Message 41 of 118

Re: Stagefright vulnerability found in most (all) Android phones

My recently purchased Xperia Z3C is infected by at least 3 vulnerabilities. Sony doesn't seem to be addressing this serious issue in an urgent manner. What a disappointment!
Sony Xperia Support
Message 42 of 118
Message 42 of 118

Hi all,

As you can see in the topic @Prasad64 has received our statement about stagefright and unfortunately I don't have any additional information at the moment.

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Software-Updates/Stagefright-vulnerability-found-in-most-all-Android-p...

C-y
Rookie
Message 43 of 118
Message 43 of 118

Stagefright vunerability

When will sony solve the stagefright vunerability in the M4 series?

Forum Legend
Message 44 of 118
Message 44 of 118

Re: Stagefright vunerability

You would have to contact Xperia care as this is a user based forum and as such we don't have access to that info http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Regular
Message 45 of 118
Message 45 of 118

Simply put, disable MMS Downloads until a fix is in place. Kinda useless downloading an app to tell you if your device is vulnerable, 98% certain things T is, even after disbling MMS Downloads. Which sorta because you won't be able to receive picture or vids etc - can't really trust any until resolved.

Enthusiast
Message 46 of 118
Message 46 of 118

stagefright fix

So, we're weeks on from the Stagefright exploit announcement.  Google's released a typically half-done fix for some nexus devices but left enough still broken that you're really no better off than before.  Sony has yet to do anything.   I didn't get an email from Sony, but as a paying customer why should I?   I think I read somewhere that there'd be a fix in August.  Clock's ticking, guys - a couple of days to go.  I guess you didn't exactly rush Lollipop out so i'm hardly surprised, but I had hoped you'd learned something about managing your customers' expectations.   Meanwhile, my phone is just waiting for anyone in the world to send it a dodgy MMS message and completely take it over for whatever purposes they desire.  Let's hope Sony do a better job than google.    Note - Check your fix with this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zimperium.stagefrightdetector&hl=en and if it comes up positive, don't bother releasing it.

Message 47 of 118
Message 47 of 118

Re: stagefright fix

@sehnsucht

Have you seen this?

http://www.xperiablog.net/2015/08/27/android-5-1-firmware-certified-for-xperia-z1-z-ultra-and-z1-com...

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Enthusiast
Message 48 of 118
Message 48 of 118

Re: stagefright fix

I'm not interested in the Z1; indeed, any phone I don't have. I appreciate it's confusing as my post has been moved into a non-specific forum from the Z3 one.   I'm also not interested in announcements or possible future dates. I just want a fix on my phone so it's safe for me to use.  It's absolutely ridiculous how long it takes anything to happen with Android.  There should be weekly patches for all devices, not this sort of "hmm, some devices might get it in a month or so".  And if you're going to not routinely patch devices because it's too much effort and instead make this sort of announcement about "august 2015" then at least stick to it!

One time poster
Message 49 of 118
Message 49 of 118

The problem with the phone

Hello,
I checked the phone security software "ESET Stagefright Detector" and showed that the phone is in danger. When will patch protection? My Phone: Xperia M2 18.3.1.C.1.17

Regards,

Jacek

Forum Legend
Message 50 of 118
Message 50 of 118

Re: The problem with the phone

We are unable to answer such questions here as we don't have access to that info - You could try contacting Xperia care who maybe able to provide more info but I don't think they will have that info either however - http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman