account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Stagefright vulnerability found in most (all) Android phones

SOLVED
Commissioner
Message 61 of 118
Message 61 of 118

Re: Stagefright vulnerability found in most (all) Android phones

after latest Z3 and Z3 Compact update to 23.4.A.1.200 it´s even worse, why???

Nepomenovaný.jpeg

:loop; start "" %0; goto loop
Sage
Message 62 of 118
Message 62 of 118

My Z1 Compact with latest update .368 shows no vulnerability. Thanks Sony :smileysmileythumbsup:

Commissioner
Message 63 of 118
Message 63 of 118

from xperia support/xperia "care" about stagefright:

"I would not be able to comment on Stagefright, or the fixes that Google have released for this, however I can say that the software update would not change the vunerabilty of your handset to this."

tests show firmware more volnerable to stagefright but they say this???

:loop; start "" %0; goto loop
Clp
Inhabitant
Message 64 of 118
Message 64 of 118

Sony Xperia Z3 stagefright update.. When?

I live in Canada and have the D6603 Roger's variant I am vet worried about stagefright, regardless of the procedures you can take if your phone is vulnerable (mine is) still on the .570 build of 5.1.1 I thought this update was supposed to be released a few days back and yet I hear people with the older xperia phones are getting their lollipop updates with no fix included. This is very concerning to me that Sony is not working harder with their partners to get this officially taken care of.

I don't like the fact that other phones in other regions are already patched and yet we have to wait so long... I can't even use my phone the way it was intended because of all the issues with software messing up how the phone used to operate and now I have to constantly worry about my security and what I do with my phone. Thank you Sony!
Phy
Forum Legend
Message 65 of 118
Message 65 of 118

Re: Sony Xperia Z3 stagefright update.. When?

Roger's lists on their website when their phones will get updates. As of now, the Z3 updated is listed as "coming soon". Which I know isn't very helpful. But you can try contacting Sony Xperia support and ask to see if they can provide you with any relevant information.
http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/contactUs/
Clp
Inhabitant
Message 66 of 118
Message 66 of 118

Yeah that has been on their "os update page" for a while now, but they indicated the stagefright patch was supposed to be released on September 16th. I already have Android 5.1.1 but apparently Sony has rolled out a new update for the z2 and z3 series which is causing even more libstagefright vulnerability than the CVE-2015-3864 which is currently the only one not fixed what is with that? 

It's just frustrating because no one is talking about this issue anymore .

Phy
Forum Legend
Message 67 of 118
Message 67 of 118

Yeah. And it is quite concerning. Not sure if the delay is due to the carrier or Sony or Google itself. I think the only way to get information about the patch release date and find out what's going on is to try and contact them directly to try and get an official statement. Other than that I'm not sure what's going to happen with it.
Clp
Inhabitant
Message 68 of 118
Message 68 of 118

I tried getting in touch with them but got the run around. I also tried talking to my service provider and got the run around. I shouldn't have to stress soo much over something soo ridiculous already but I guess that's the way it goes when you own devices that can link up with other devices. There will always be security issues with technology lol 😁
Clp
Inhabitant
Message 69 of 118
Message 69 of 118

Sony is soo backwards right now. They are releasing build 23.4.A.1.200 which will make your Z2/Z3 fully vulnerable to the stagefright bug....and the update only makes a few small changes to their os. What is with that?? It makes no sense at all. Instead of all the marketing tactics and discussions about new devices they should be more concerned about what people really want.... A stable device that they can rely on and use the way it was meant to be used. A lot of people are complaining about their lollipop updates, all the changes and stability issues and it just keeps getting worse. I have been a loyal Sony fan for a long time but I'm not sure how I feel anymore about their products.
Enthusiast
Message 70 of 118
Message 70 of 118

It doesn't surprise me that the few people who've received - almost a month late - a fix for Stagefright are reporting that it doesn't actually fix the problem.  Anyone exploiting stagefright for malicious purposes only needs one of the exploits to remain unfixed.  I doubt anyone from Sony reads these forums but anyone else should be aware that Sony are extremely slow to respond to Android operating system upgrades and critical bug reports and that this should be borne in mind before purchasing any of their products in future if you're remotely concerned with having a secure phone.  I can only imagine what the response would be if Microsoft took months to patch a security problem where anyone on the planet could send your pc a message which would immediately and silently take full control of your computer.