account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Stagefright vulnerability found in most (all) Android phones

SOLVED
Enthusiast
Message 71 of 118
Message 71 of 118

Xperia Z2 23.4.A.1.200 update: Stagefright vulnerability

I updated to 23.4.A.1.200 last night and now get these results... Can anyone advise? 

12064489_10207617140216339_772310461_n.jpg

Adviser
Message 72 of 118
Message 72 of 118

Re: Stagefright vulnerability found in most (all) Android phones

Dunno but i have same results. I think that the problem isnt fixed. I find this intresting because of the nature of this problem. I searched the internet and did not find any explanation.
Talent
Message 73 of 118
Message 73 of 118

what is the stagefright vulnerability???

What is the stagefright and how can this affects to the mobile phones, when we scan using stagefright detector it says my phone is Vulnerable. how can I prevent from this is there any methods?

Forum Legend
Message 74 of 118
Message 74 of 118

Re: what is the stagefright vulnerability???

Easier to read topics on the net rather than someone copying and pasting the stories

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Enthusiast
Message 75 of 118
Message 75 of 118

Re: Xperia Z2 23.4.A.1.200 update: Stagefright vulnerability

Yes, after waiting months - almost a month later than the date given by sony - I finally got an update (nothing over the air, so i had to use Sony companion which is windows only) and this makes my phone a lot more susceptable to stagefright.   Yeah, thanks for that. 

Avoid this update if you're concerned about security, and don't want your phone taken over by anyone with your phone number. However, be sure to install it if you want better linkedin integration.   No, i'm not making it up.   I just contacted Sony via their online chat to ask them about when we can expect the update and they tried to fob me off with "contact google".  Not sure why sony think google know when sony are going to patch their products!

Clp
Inhabitant
Message 76 of 118
Message 76 of 118

Well the newest firmware .232 I believe it is that was announced for the d6603 z3 will hopefully address this issue once and for all. Why did Sony release a working patch just the other day to the z3v and everyone else is getting the run around? I think this has gone on for too long... Get it right Sony!! You need to listen to your customers.

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 77 of 118
Message 77 of 118

Hi everyone - thanks for your comments. We would just like to reassure you following reports that some protection and detector software identifies certain Xperia devices as remaining vulnerable to the “Stagefright” flaw, despite receiving the corrective security patches.

Protection and detector software use dummy media files to assess if security patches are installed. We added media file validation checks within the firmware, that are wrongly identified as crashes and vulnerabilities by some protection software – we fully reassure all our customers that the security patches eliminate any risk posed by the “Stagefright” flaw from Xperia devices. The firmware is rolling out through our retail partners within normal and regular software maintenance, with exact timings varying by region and/or operator.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 78 of 118
Message 78 of 118

Thanks for the update- but there is already a new Stagefright bug, dubbed Stagefright 2.0

Will this one get patched quickly? It looks even more severe.

https://blog.zimperium.com/zimperium-zlabs-is-raising-the-volume-new-vulnerability-processing-mp3mp4...

Also, an information what the patch does next time would probably stop the panic

Visitor
Message 79 of 118
Message 79 of 118

5.1.1 UPDATE FAILING ALL STAGEFRIGHT CHECKS

Pardon the caps but...why would you release an update that unpatches everything!?

Message 80 of 118
Message 80 of 118

Re: 5.1.1 UPDATE FAILING ALL STAGEFRIGHT CHECKS

Which phone/firmware version you have?

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.