account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security patches. How? When? How often?

Enthusiast
Message 11 of 99
Message 11 of 99

Re: Security updates for the Z5 suite

For more info :

here's the android security updates for nexus suite: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/android-security-updates

More info on android security bulletins: https://source.android.com/security/bulletin/2016-05-01.html

For instance, my Z5, about phone, shows Android security patch level: February 1, 2016

In the meantime, the May 2016 security update fixes:  Remote Code Execution Vulnerability in Mediaserver and other critical vulnerablities.

Adviser
Message 12 of 99
Message 12 of 99

Re: Security updates for the Z5 suite

It seems Sony has neglected to provide timely security updates, as well as a botched excuse for stamina mode.

With June's security patch updates being posted on the AOSP changelog, yet we're still stuck on February's, tells you all there is to know. The S7 got May's, as I'm sure other flagship handsets probably have done as well.

It seeems that now Sony has its X models the Zs will be updated in an untimely manner. 

Adviser
Message 13 of 99
Message 13 of 99

Why aren't Sony providing the monthly Security patches?

THey seem to only do it with significant system updates. Has Sony provided an explanation why?

I mean, if Samsung can do it for the S7 on Verizon, why can't Sony? Is it because of the X series release?

Enthusiast
Message 14 of 99
Message 14 of 99

Re: Why aren't Sony providing the monthly Security patches?

vivencio_rp wrote:

THey seem to only do it with significant system updates. Has Sony provided an explanation why?

I mean, if Samsung can do it for the S7 on Verizon, why can't Sony? Is it because of the X series release?

I am kinda hoping the reason for the security updates delays is the many issues introduced along with MM update. There were just so many bugs people complained about, I can undertstand why it took and still takes a lot of work to get that fixed so perhaps there lies sony's priority, which is fine. When all will be good again, security updates should be issued more often, at least that's my expectation and I guess I am not the only one. As I said before, more and more android manufaturers do that, and not only for their flagships. The only thing I would expect from sony though, is to issue a formal statement on this policy. More transparency on the updates content and general communication I'd think would only help Sony mobile. I see there are more and more users becoming more aware of their devices and general android ecosystem and experience, and thus interested in details such as this. Please Sony, listen!

Forum Legend
Message 15 of 99
Message 15 of 99

Re: Stagefright after latest MM update

are you on 6.0 or 6.0.1? android security patch month?

________________________________________________________________________________
The Man! The Myth! The Forum Legend! -Scott Sterling
Commissioner
Message 16 of 99
Message 16 of 99

MM 6.0.1, security patch April 2016

:loop; start "" %0; goto loop
Forum Legend
Message 17 of 99
Message 17 of 99

ok , ill try to get more details for this,. android security patches are released by google.

I just tried with my device and it is indeed vulnerable..

________________________________________________________________________________
The Man! The Myth! The Forum Legend! -Scott Sterling
Commissioner
Message 18 of 99
Message 18 of 99

Know, released by google, but sony could fix it out of security patch package instead

Commissioner
Message 19 of 99
Message 19 of 99

sony support team? any plans to fix it?

Commissioner
Message 20 of 99
Message 20 of 99

Z5 with 32.2.A.0.253 and still april's security patch

It seems Sony really takes security serious :-D after yesterday's 32.2.A.0.253 update there's still april's security patch. really shame! what about pushing regular monthly updates?