account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Security patches. How? When? How often?

Commissioner
Message 1 of 203
Message 1 of 203

Security patches. How? When? How often?

How does Sony distributes security patches? Todax I got 32.1.A.1.185 update on my Z5 Compact but there's still just February 2016 security patch even there're March ot April patches... 

:loop; start "" %0; goto loop
202 REPLIES 202
Emperor
Message 2 of 203
Message 2 of 203

Re: Security patches. How? When? How often?

@mrnino

I don't think you'll find the answer here, but I'll escalate this, you can also contact Sony directly >>> Local support

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Commissioner
Message 3 of 203
Message 3 of 203

Emma:  Thank you for providing me with this information, with regards to the query you posted, there are no specific dates or set times that patches come through on the devices. These are sent out from our developers when patches are needed.
Martin Mrmus:  so sony doesn't consider every security patch from google as important?
Emma:  The developers would implement these in system updates and patches when needed for the device but, as stated, we don't have specific dates for these.

So if I read between lines looks like it is not.

:loop; start "" %0; goto loop
Enthusiast
Message 4 of 203
Message 4 of 203

Im still wondering what ever happened to the stagefright fix for Xperia z3 that should have been released a long time ago. It's been how long already? Let's hope Marshmallow has better security in the update.
Emperor
Message 5 of 203
Message 5 of 203

@mrnino

I don't think you should "read between the lines" 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 6 of 203
Message 6 of 203

@uliwooly

Any updates?

The M5 in the UK is still on a Jan 2016 patch.

Adviser
Message 7 of 203
Message 7 of 203

Android security patch level

I notice that after updating my Z5C to build 32.1.A.1.185, that in Settings / About Phone, the Android security patch level is still shown as 1 Feb 2016, which is the same date as for the previous 32.1.A.1.183 build. Why is this? I would have thought that getting security updates onto the phone is fairly important.

Forum Legend
Message 8 of 203
Message 8 of 203

Re: Android security patch level

unless they specify that the next update will include the recent security patches your wont be getting it yet. .185 is just a bug fixing small incremantal update. hopefully it will be updated in the next major update. 6.0.1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn to take care and troubleshoot your Device here:
Xperia Support by Sony: https://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/
Adviser
Message 9 of 203
Message 9 of 203

Android Monthly Security Updates

Sony have failed to deliver the march, april and now may security updates for android 6

The may update fixes a critical remote code execution vulnerability.

When will sony be deploying these fixes?

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 203
Message 10 of 203

Security updates for the Z5 suite

I was under the impression that Sony provides timely security updates to their flagships? I must be wrong or is this just a temporary glitch in their update schedule?

Can an offcial Sony representative clarify this please?

The reason I ask is that I have owned several other android brands before, the latest htc one m7 (the gpe edition). All these devices would receive these monthly security updates, in the case of the m7 for at least 2 years since release.