account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Root CA Certificate Update?

Highlighted
Sage
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

Root CA Certificate Update?

Hi,

I have been testing with various GPS fixes on my XPERIA device and I want to report certain issues my phone is having...

Device: Sony Xperia Sola

Version: Android 4.0.4 (Stock) - 6.1.1.B.1.54

Issue: GPS takes a long time to lock on "precisely"

Solutions taken:

1. Enabled Google's Location service under Settings > Location services

- Doesn't really work

2. Root device & edit /system/etc/gps.conf content

-Edit includes changing of SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com and SUPL_PORT=7276
-Doesn't work too

However with

3. Replace /system/etc/suplcert/cacert.txt with Waze's (Source file by Mozilla) cacert.pem from /sdcard/waze/
-The problem fixed and significantly reduce the time to lock on...

Therefore,

I propose that Sony Mobile should release an maintenance update to all Xperia 201X devices,
to update Root CA Certicate in order to compliance with the current SSL certs of supl.sonyericsson.com...

You don't expect everyone to root all their devices just to fix some certificates problems, do you Sony?

== Not relevant: What I done so far with my GPS fixes... ==

1. Rooted & Edited gps.conf with:
SUPL_HOST=supl.nokia.com

SUPL_PORT=7275

2. Updated cacert.txt with Waze's cacert.pem and changed some permissions

== GPS locked on under 30 seconds (indoor) ==

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
One time poster
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

Re: Root CA Certificate Update?

Where this cert ( Waze's (Source file by Mozilla) ) can be found - I will try to test if it helps on my Xperia U,

Highlighted
Sage
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

You need to download the Waze app from Google Play first.

Once you download and perform a first time run wizard, Waze should install certain files into /sdcard/waze.

There you can find cacert.pem which you can rename as cacert.txt to replace /system/etc/suplcert/cacert.txt.

One time poster
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

i copied the waze file into the system folder.. the gps locked in on apps like maps and waze while connected the wifi... i switched off wifi and checked again.. using only the gps to pinpoint location.. it did not lock in.. it used the previously locked location obtained through wifi.. using a xperia u.. 

did gps work for you??