account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revert Android 7 upgrade to Android 6

One time poster
Message 1 of 62
Message 1 of 62

Revert Android 7 upgrade to Android 6

I keep receiving  from Sony  in my mail and in my smartphone  messages to upgrade to the brand new Android 7 version.

I use my phone with several common applications (whatsapp, uber, twitter, mail, fb, car2go, spanish lottery, etc...) and wonder if there is any place  (official or unofficial) where I can check app compatibility information  (of commonly used apps) before I do the upgrade.

I also asked via  sony local online Chat support for information on if it is possible to revert back to Android 6 my smartphone if for one or other reason  I need functionalities that are still not available in brand new android nougat for my Xperia Z5 premium. They directed me to this forum telling me that "we don't have access to this info from here".

Is it possible to revert back a software upgrade from Android 7 to Android 6  in a supported and official way?

If yes, How? Where can I get an official procedure or documentation on how to do it step by step?

Thanks in advance  for any pointer or help someone may provide.

61 REPLIES
Message 2 of 62
Message 2 of 62

Re: Revert Android 7 upgrade to Android 6

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Software-Updates/How-do-I-go-back-from-Marshmallow-to-previous-Lollip...

There is no official way to downgrade. You need to use 3rd party tools.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Learner
Message 3 of 62
Message 3 of 62

I am feeling your pain.. Even basic common apps are not compatible. Spotify, Pandora, google now..
Bravo to the testing team
Enthusiast
Message 4 of 62
Message 4 of 62

yes you can revert back... i did because i found too many issues with nougat for my z5 compact.

too keep your warranty i guess you have to use official sony firmware, which youll have to download manually and then use the flashtool to flash it with.

that way your bootloader and such is still locked and your phone isnt rooted etc.

Regular
Message 5 of 62
Message 5 of 62

Thank you Gippy for letting me know that some basic apps are still not ready, so I keep trying not to upgrade even if sony is "pushing me for the upgrade".  (Default option  in out of the box version of Android that came with my Z5 premium and lolipop installed). And now at version 6   reminding me to install and to update this major nougat 7 just released.

Sony should be more cautious and serious about these upgrades and these recomendations and should keep a minimum  set of apps under support before releasing of forcing the upgrade!!!

This is customer care and obvious must if you want to keep your clients  satisfied and loyal to your products..... don't you think?

regards,

Regular
Message 6 of 62
Message 6 of 62

Thank you Martin.

Can you be more precise on how you exactly did revert back from android 7 nougat to android 6 your z5 compact without loosing warranty?

thanks in advance

Regular
Message 7 of 62
Message 7 of 62

Thank you for the hint and link Alexdon.

Why Sony  isn't it possible to  revert back using an official tool?  Why don't you publish a list of common and widespread used apps that have been tested with the new Android and specific hardware models?  

I have followed the link you posted but it does not give  clear and precise instructions on how to do it.

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 62
Message 8 of 62

this is what i did, as an example as i have non network branded sony australia z5 compact phone. you would have to download the exact firmware for your model with the correct CDA. but anyway this is what i did.

if you have non branded/carrier australian phone eg (e5823) you can download the firmware from here (if its still available)
http://www.xperiablog.net/forum/resources/xperia-z5-compact_e5823_32-2-a-0-253_australia_generic.663...

and to flash it, you need to follow the instructions on this page (you can skip the part about downloading and creating the firmware as you'l get it from the previous link, youll just need to place it in the C:\Users\(yourusername)\.flashTool\firmwares folder)

http://www.xperiablog.net/2016/03/12/install-xperia-marshmallow-using-flashtool-and-xperifirm-guide/

When your flashing, in the flash tool, select all the "wipe" options except "Simlock" which should be greyed out anyway.

this will completely wipe the phone, with the exception of the external sd card.
also dont blame if you stuff something up, and make sure you know what your doing and read the instructions carefully
once you do it once of twice, its pretty straight forward

Genius
Message 9 of 62
Message 9 of 62

@imonte

If you get a firewall or an app that can freeze other apps, the app to target is 'Software Update'
Full name is 'com.sonyericsson.updatecenter'
//----------------- C:\》$ Path- Thyme: .trawler //-----------------Auto-Correct Disclaimer: Not sorry. //----------------- Batteries not included.
Learner
Message 10 of 62
Message 10 of 62

Undo nougat update

Due to bugs and issues I'm encountering after the update I would like to undo the Android upgrade and go back to
Android 6