account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

How do I go back from Marshmallow to previous Lollipop

One time poster
Message 1 of 112
Message 1 of 112

How do I go back from Marshmallow to previous Lollipop

I did the mistake to update to Marshmallow, however I did not  notice that it was such a substantial update before doing so.  Did a backup of the essentials before updating.

I did a factory reset a few hours ago.  Unfortunately Marshmallow is still there. Furthermore the restore did nothing of the kind.  I tid not restore settings, nor any of possibly 50 downloaded applications, nor my "home page" or settings for e-mails etc. 
I can sincerely not understand why it was called 'backup' and 'restore'.  A warning should have been issues beforehand!

What is probably the most important app I use stopped working altogether under Android 6.  I want to downgrade to Lollipop immediately to reduce hassle.  It is so important to me that I am willing to purchase a brand new phone if I can not downgrade.

Sony should instruct its customers how to do that since the phone became more or less unusable to me. Give advice please! And fellow users at this forum, do you know how to downgrade to what I had, what worked before Marshmallow?

111 REPLIES 111
Message 2 of 112
Message 2 of 112

Re: How do I go back from Marshmallow to previous Lollipop

You already have many threads on this subject:

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Software-Updates/Downgrade-Z3-compact-and-others-from-Lollipop-to-Kit...

The operations to be done are similar, you just need to use lollipop instead of kitkat.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Highlighted
Veteran
Message 3 of 112
Message 3 of 112

Before installing MM update there is a notification IN RED stating it will not be possible to go back as Sony does not offer a roll backs (nor any OEMs I guess). 

+ have you been updating to new OS for the first time? It seems so as I can see you are not familiar with the fact that some of the apps may not be ready to work properly with newer OSes just immediately as developers needs some time to adjust the code to make it work. You should rather blame Gameloft instead of Sony in this case. Sony has nothing to do with it.

MM is decent update from Sony.
Dot.  

Veteran
Message 4 of 112
Message 4 of 112

Please note Android is plural ecosystem, there are different versions of it running at the same time on the market mixed with even greater number of possible hardware configurations.

Given the above it is not that easy to make application working properly on each configuration just in 1 day and developers may need some time to do this. 

If I were you I would rather wait a bit as for sure Gameloft will provide relevant update soon. 

Meanwhile it should be a good idea to contact Gameloft by adding comment to Google Play under your game that it is still not working properly with Z5 on Android 6.0 or just contacting Gameloft devs directly via e-mail.

Thank you.

One time poster
Message 5 of 112
Message 5 of 112

Marshmallow problems with Xperia Z5 compact - how to rollback to previous android version

Just updated phone to Marshmallow and the GPS has major issues...Waze  and other apps can not find the mapping position.  Everything was fine prior to update.  After researching, this is a know problem with no solution.

Can you tell me how to rollback to the previous version of Android?  I am in the US on ATT

Thx

Emperor
Message 6 of 112
Message 6 of 112

Re: Marshmallow problems with Xperia Z5 compact - how to rollback to previous android version

@1Mil

you can't through Sony's PCC you could use flashtool or xperifirm, which are third party software, before you do so, reinstall the latest update and check again. 

software repair

PC Companion (PCC)

Bridge (for Mac)

Alternatives on How to backup Xperias

http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/36355

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
Message 7 of 112
Message 7 of 112

Downgrading android marshmallow from my xperia z5

So recently i upgraded my xperia z5 to android 6.0 but im not amused with the new upgrade and wish to downgrade it to android lollipop pls help.
Emperor
Message 8 of 112
Message 8 of 112

Re: Downgrading android marshmallow from my xperia z5

@Jason5

either contact your Local support or use flashtool

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z2/How-to-manually-update-downgrade-root-2014-Xperias/td-p/593...

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
Message 9 of 112
Message 9 of 112

Problems after Xperia Z5C Marshmallow update

Hi everybody and precisely Sony and its staff!

I would like to say that my phone is not the same anymore. I did not have any heat issues when I had lollipop, the phone is heating to a very noticeable and uncomfortable level almost immediatly once the screen is on. Speaking on the phone for 5 minutes makes my face cheek sweat.There is also a huge battery drain. I used to go to bed with 40-50% of the battery left, now I have 12% by 19 hours and the usage has remained the same as before. Something went seriously wrong, how the heck can you guys release someting that is not done! I will never understand corporations! I want to downgrade to lollipop, the easiest way possible, is there a guideline?

Sony Xperia Support
Message 10 of 112
Message 10 of 112

Re: Problems after Xperia Z5C Marshmallow update

Hi @Khaouda85,

Welcome to the community.

The issues you're facing were not present on my Z5C after the update, so it seems like it could possibly be a software problem. It could be the firmware or it could be an app.

Are all your apps completely up to date?

If an app is not optimised for the device/firmware it may be causing strain on the CPU which in turn will cause the phone to get hot and the battery to drain quickly.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.