account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Downgrade Z3 compact (and others) from Lollipop to KitKat

SOLVED
Regular
Message 231 of 305
Message 231 of 305

Downgrading a Sony Z3 Tablet Compact tablet SGP612 from lollipop to kitkat for remote play

Hi,

I was hoping someone would be able to help me downgrade my Sony Z3 Tablet Compact tablet SGP612 lollipop 5.1.1 to kitkat 4.4.4? It is a UK model.

I bought this tablet solely for remote play streaming from the PS4. The streaming worked ok when I first got the tablet but was close to perfect when the 60fps PS4 firmware came out.

Then lollipop came out and unfortuantely there has been massive lag with remote play on my tablet since, this includes the latest 5.1.1 lollipop update. I can confirm that I have done a fresh install of 5.1.1 from the PC companion app but there is still noticeable lag in remote play.

I also have a decent Asus RT-AC66u router running Merlins firmware and the tablet is connected via 5ghz.

So on 03/08 I decided I've had enough and followed the guide to downgrade to Kitkat at http://www.xperiablog.net/2015/03/17/guide-to-installing-xperia-lollipop-using-xperifirm-and-flashto... but the problem is the kitkat 4.4.4 firmware is no longer in the Xperifirm list of firmwares there are only 2 versions listed which are both lollipop, can someone please advise where I can get the appropriate kitkat firmware?

I am not rooted and don't want to be as I would like to keep my DRM keys etc.

Thank you for all of your help.

Matt

Forum Legend
Message 232 of 305
Message 232 of 305

Re: Downgrading a Sony Z3 Tablet Compact tablet SGP612 from lollipop to kitkat for remote play

I can find 4.4.4 but it's from TW Taiwan I think if it's any good to you then see here

If you don't know how to use Flashtool then reply back and I'll direct you to a guide

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Regular
Message 233 of 305
Message 233 of 305

Re: Downgrading a Sony Z3 Tablet Compact tablet SGP612 from lollipop to kitkat for remote play

Thommo,

Thank you for your quick response and your help.

I don't suppose anyone could possibly help with a UK version of the firmware?

I am unsure what filename the UK version would be so unfortunately I'm unable to search the web for this.

Regular
Message 234 of 305
Message 234 of 305

Sorry I should have asked is there any problem flashing a firmware from a different region? Will I still keep all drm keys and I can reflash to the latest firmware from my region after if I want and no harm done?

Thanks for your help
Forum Legend
Message 235 of 305
Message 235 of 305

Flashing another countries firmware won't delete your DRM keys but you may have apps which you wouldn't normally have however the filename will be the same but you'd want the UK variant, There's lots of Uk firmware for the other two versions just not your version that been the 32gb

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Forum Legend
Message 236 of 305
Message 236 of 305

Forgot to add you could create your own Uk firmware of LP so in the future you can manually flash to it - You will still get updates but if you flash the TW firmware then all future firmware will be TW until such time you change to the Uk manually

Regular
Message 237 of 305
Message 237 of 305

Thommo,

I have flashed the taiwan kitkat firmware and tried remote play again - I can confirm that this has significantly reduced input lag.

Thank you for your help!

It would be good if Sony can reduce the input lag of remote play in Lollipop to match Kitkat - There is a significant difference.

One time poster
Message 238 of 305
Message 238 of 305

I need to refer to the way 4.4.4 ktkat

I want to retrieve Alndham 4.4.4 ktkat D6633 method
Emperor
Message 239 of 305
Message 239 of 305

Re: I need to refer to the way 4.4.4 ktkat

@Hamood77

Are you referring to downgrade?

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z2/How-to-manually-update-downgrade-root-2014-Xperias/td-p/593...

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Visitor
Message 240 of 305
Message 240 of 305

Remove 5.0 Operating System

Hi, Z1 behaviour weird - it has "screamed" inaudible tone like it will explode or something
Happened tonight before bed on power plug in. Twice.
I don't like 5 can I restore back to 4. using pc companion?