account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Downgrade Z3 compact (and others) from Lollipop to KitKat

SOLVED
Forum Legend
Message 11 of 305
Message 11 of 305

Re: downgrading from Lollipop back to Kitakat

Also consider making your own KK firmware file for manual flashing

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Rookie
Message 12 of 305
Message 12 of 305

Re: Downgrade Z3 compact from Lollipop to KitKat

Thanks for your advice. After installing a number of abortive lock screen widget apps, I decided to play around with the screen pinning feature. Alas, I discovered the 'unlock password feature' which allows me to unlock without using password/pin or pattern - perfect. I think I can get used to this new software.
Apprentice
Message 13 of 305
Message 13 of 305

I too would like to go back to KitKat.

I tried asking Sony about downgrading:

"Unfortunately It is not possible to downgrade a device to a previous Android version, neither by yourself nor by a service center."

Looking at the guide to installing Lollipop (but using it to install KitKat), I see:

1) Enable ‘USB debugging’ on your handset: Settings > Developer options

I cannot locate this option.  Do I need to root for this option to exist?

Thanks for any help.

Message 14 of 305
Message 14 of 305

Have you enabled developer options on your phone by tapping on build number?
Apprentice
Message 15 of 305
Message 15 of 305

That was an interesting trick to get to the debugging checkbox.  Thanks.

I'm in Canada, and bought my phone from Sony online back in February.

It's a Z3C D5803 SI 1290-0538.3 3g/LTE (as written on the box)

Which firmware can I use from http://forum.xda-developers.com/z3-compact/general/list-stock-firmwares-d5803-d5833-t2906706 ?

Message 16 of 305
Message 16 of 305

Scroll down the list in xperiafirm and it will have Canada listed next to the firmware build.You will also find individual carriers firmware as well
Apprentice
Message 17 of 305
Message 17 of 305

Only one that says Canada is:

1289-7538  Canada  Bell Mobility  23.0.A.2.93/R6B

Besides my not wanting Bell branding on my phone, would it even work for me?

Bell Mobility runs on a completely different network to my carrier, Fido.

Commissioner
Message 18 of 305
Message 18 of 305

For people who do not like Lollipop, please take a step back before deciding to downgrade. Android will continue to move ahead and newer version will overtake the current firmware. If you are already happy with KitKat and think that's what suit your need, don't upgrade in the first place. Those who upgraded and don't like this or that, why not learn to adapt? U may slowly finding yourself getting used to this new firmware and when u upgrade ur phone in the future, u wun be already well adapted.
Apprentice
Message 19 of 305
Message 19 of 305

I was completely happy with KitKat.  I wouldn't have bothered switching to Lollipop, except for one simple reason: I'd be able to store apps on my SD card.  I was down to 1.5GB or space left on the phone.  But after the switch, and moving apps to the SD card, all I have to show for it is 3GB of space now.  Nothing like I was expecting.  Another change I didn't notice, was the lack of lockscreen widgets.  Now I'm looking through 'lockers' trying to find a way to put weather back on my lockscreen again.  And I'd swear my phone feels a bit slower at different tasks.

Now, as for Xperifirm..
Isn't that tool simply for getting the latest firmwear?  Wouldn't that be Lollipop??

Visitor
Message 20 of 305
Message 20 of 305

How to revert back to kitkat 4.4.4 from lollipop 5.0.2 in xperia z2

Hello everybody !! I hopethat you all are doing good. I just had a question regarding how can i revert back to kitkat 4.4.4 from lollipop 5.0.2 in xperia z2 as i didnt like lollipop much and at times i find it a bit laggy. Moreover, the interface also doesnt sound user friendly.

I would appreciate if someone can help me in this regard. Adding one more thing that kitkat 4.4.4 should be stock firmware.