account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Downgrade Z3 compact (and others) from Lollipop to KitKat

SOLVED
Message 201 of 305
Message 201 of 305

Re: how to downward from lollipop to kitkat , i recently updated my xperia z .

@jaamtariq

I case PC Companion phone repair doesn't work and you insist on downgrading, there's an unofficial method to downgrade and you can find it here:

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Software-Updates/Downgrade-Z3-compact-and-others-from-Lollipop-to-Kit...

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

One time poster
Message 202 of 305
Message 202 of 305

Back to kitkat

I want back to kitkat Android, someone can help?
Quero retornar à versão 4,4,3 kitkat, alguém sabe como faço?
Obrigada!
Message 203 of 305
Message 203 of 305

Re: Back to kitkat

Check this post:

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Software-Updates/Downgrade-Z3-compact-and-others-from-Lollipop-to-Kit...

Feel free to kudo this post or mark it as solution so that other users facing the same issue can find it

Disclaimer: Moderators are not affiliated with or work for Sony Mobile, their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles in the community.

Emperor
Message 204 of 305
Message 204 of 305

Re: Back to kitkat

@Fichua

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z2/How-to-manually-update-downgrade-root-2014-Xperias/td-p/593...

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Learner
Message 205 of 305
Message 205 of 305

Re: how to downward from lollipop to kitkat , i recently updated my xperia z .

thanks for reply .. is that can damage the phone if i cant do that properly

Apprentice
Message 206 of 305
Message 206 of 305

Re: Lollipop operating system

@SophiaW wrote:

Hi @P3671s, welcome to the community!

I advise re-installing Lollipop by doing a software repair - this is very likely to smoothen things out for you. 

Nope, besides the small issues, unfortunately there are things directly related to the AOSP code. For example the huge battery drain due to the network radio being always active, problem present on phones from ALL manufacturers. Since it was the last big manufacturer to launch Lollipop, I was expecting Sony to have fixed this kind of issues, but actually no! Late and still a bad update.

@Samuel wrote:

Unfortunately it's not possible to downgrade the software. I would recommend that you try to reset your phone to get rid of the issues you're experiencing. 

I understand you guys are not to blame for these issues and that you're only trying to do your job, but know that these suggestions do nothing. 

This Lollipop update was just a bad idea, only half-done (even it came late and I know Google did an awful job on this Android version) so at this point most of the clients would agree that after all the waiting, either you provide an update wich is ALMOST flawless or you just make people wait a few more months until the update becomes ALMOST flawless. Actually this update is very far from acceptable and light years from "ALMOST flawless".

One of the major selling point of the Z3 family, the excellent (or even record-setting, in the case of Z3C) battery life, on Lollipop became average at most.

One of the major features of Lollipop, the ability to move apps to SD card is useless or badly implemented (apps showing as being moved to the SD card but in reality being still stored in the internal memory).

The interface was smoother on Kitkat, on Lollipop I'm noticing that sometimes the app drawer takes about 1s to load (on Kitkat it was ALWAYS instant), on Lollipop sometimes the homescreen icons take a bit of time to load (on Kitkat it was ALWAYS instant) and overall if on Kitkat I could go on with 50-60 days of uptime and the phone would still function perfectly, on Lollipop I'm forced to restart it every week, switch to Safe Mode, etc. And it's still bad.

Very very hard to accept this Lollipop verson a la Sony and impossible to love it. This evening I'll install Kitkat back to my phone and I'm looking forward to Microsoft's next flagship. I'm already sick and tired of Google's lack of interest for developing a solid OS and of the manufacturers' failure to improve anything. Owning a 500, 600, 700 EUR gadget should NOT be a headache! 

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 207 of 305
Message 207 of 305

How to undo a update

Guys please help me, i think this version is too much for my phone (xperia zl) and it makes my phone slow, how can i undo my update 5.0.2
One time poster
Message 208 of 305
Message 208 of 305

android lollipop update

BUongiorno to every one,

I would like to have support in gatting back from lollipop to kitkat. I was really excited to receive the message in order to update my sony z1 compact. I did it but the performance of my telephone is getting bad and bad. The battery permorm almost in 25% minus , the quality of phone call bad, my friend often can't ear my voice, the wifi icon disappear from the message box even if is activated, during the phone call i ear the sone application is going to open up....

I need to get back to andrid kitkat or have new solution to have my fantastic z1 working as before.

I don't know if other user have had the same experience and how they solve it

Thanks 

Learner
Message 209 of 305
Message 209 of 305

lollipop update, GPS not working, battery life terrible, random rebooting occurs

i want to go back to previous android version.

Apprentice
Message 210 of 305
Message 210 of 305

Re: Downgrade Z3 compact (and others) from Lollipop to KitKat

I downgraded to Kitkat using the links provided in this topic (Flashtool and xda topics to find firmware images). At first I did not enable Data wipe in Flashtool so after flashing the phone got into a bootloop. I powered the phone off (Z3 Compact) pushing the reset button, reflashed while letting Flashtool wipe Data also and everything went fine.

The phone is fast again (mostly thanks to simpler animations I guess), the recent apps list is FUNCTIONAL, everything opens almost instantly and switching between apps is very fluid, even though there was still some battery drain because of Play Services the problem was quickly identified with Wakelock Detector (which doesn't work on Lollipop) and clearing the data from Play Services fixed everything. Now the phone sleeps perfectly fine and the only wakelocks are generated by the location services being activated (absolutely normal). So faster, more stable, and more power efficient on Kitkat than on Lollipop.