account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Camera2 API?

SOLVED
One time poster
Message 1071 of 1,250
Message 1071 of 1,250

Re: Camera2 API?

I have been a Sony loyalist for years now. While I believe that Sony is the leader in imaging and display (my DSLR and TV are my favorite Sony devices), I find my Xperia XZ lacking in the camera department. Sony provides the sensors for most phone cameras out there amd to see Samsung/Apple come out with better performing cameras with Sony hardware is disappointing. The camera app could seriously use a overhaul. While that could take time, I hope it's in the cards because without a software that uses the full potential of the sensor, cameras on the Xperia series may fail to catch up. Meanwhile, the least Sony can and  must do is enable RAW support on the Camera 2 API so that users who pay the premium to own devices like XZ or XZs can use the camera to its full potential. It's not a difficult job to include this is in the upcoming Oreo update and would unleash the locked capabilities of an otherwise great camera.

I have always believed in the vision of One Sony and I hope that our voices are heard. Thank you.

Adviser
Message 1072 of 1,250
Message 1072 of 1,250

We need raw please. 

The post processing of my XZ is such a waste... that edge enhancement... 

Make Sony great again ! 

Apprentice
Message 1073 of 1,250
Message 1073 of 1,250

This is simply horrible! Just bought XZ1, and there is still no RAW! Maybe Google needs to force manufacturers to include it? I just don't understand, what's so difficult about enabling this feature Slightly frowning Face it's not like one needs to program some advanced algorithm for this...

Apprentice
Message 1074 of 1,250
Message 1074 of 1,250

Re: Xperia Z5 / Z5 Premium new updates

12 Oct 2017

Another software update and still no RAW or DNG support.

Losing another user if this isn't sorted...

Apprentice
Message 1075 of 1,250
Message 1075 of 1,250

Also bought XZ1 and disappointed to not see raw mode.

Sony, please implement Camera2 API.

Apprentice
Message 1076 of 1,250
Message 1076 of 1,250

12th Oct 2017   (YES! it's 2017 now) 

New software update for Xperia XZ  and still no RAW or DNG support.

Disgraceful behaviour by SONY.

Inhabitant
Message 1077 of 1,250
Message 1077 of 1,250

Xperia XZ Premium Camera2 api Not fully supported. RAW support

Hi,

Xperia XZ Premium Camera2 api seems like it is Not fully supported.

I believe RAW support is the only manual setting that is yet to be implimented. 

It would be great to know if it will be added along with Orea update, or any future release.

As it is pretty useful when using a third-party camera app (Ported Pixel Camera) for example. It currently crashes I believe due to the lack of full Camera2api support?

Sincerely,

Aaron

Learner
Message 1078 of 1,250
Message 1078 of 1,250

Re: Xperia XZ Premium Camera2 api Not fully supported. RAW support

Welcome to the world of sony. You are not gonna get what you're looking for. I just spent a whole day searching a solution for the same. This topic have been in circulation since 2013 after ICS update. Their response is going to be "we will consider this for the future if there is a popular demand" or "Thank you for the feedback. I will forward this internally"  . Which is not going to happen. You are stuck with it untill you move on to a new device. This is also a kind of marketing strategy where they force you to buy their new phone rather then supporting old one. A Great flagship xperia xz owner to fight with all other ppl around me with a cost of 50k₹ = 773$ just to find out i was wrong its just a showoff piece. And worst customer support.  Happy xperian 😊

Rameez
Enthusiast
Message 1079 of 1,250
Message 1079 of 1,250

Don't worry, there are many more limitations Winking Face . You can't take full resolution photo (as far as I remember it is limited to 8MP) and the max shutter speed is limited to 1/16s...

Inhabitant
Message 1080 of 1,250
Message 1080 of 1,250

Sony limitations

> you cant use 20.7, 23 and 19 MP

>RAW => you havnt

>custom ISO (12800) not this sht 3200 => you have only 3200 iso

>HDR - limited => you havnt HDR

> no custom shutter speed  or auto